R. Kelly To Learn If He Effectively Gets ‘Life’ Sentence until 2066
CHICAGO, Ill. — R. Kelly will find out whether he will spend the rest of his life in prison when a federal judge sentences him on child pornography and enticement of minors for sex on Thursday.
Prosecutors have asked the judge presiding over Kelly’s sentencing hearing in Chicago to order him to serve a 25-year sentence only after completing a 30-year sentence imposed in New York last year for racketeering and sex trafficking.
This would make the Grammy Awards winner, 56, eligible for release in 2066, a year before his 100th birthday. The defense seeks a sentence of around ten years to be served concurrently.
If Kelly is allowed to serve his new sentence and his New York sentence at the same time, he should be able to get out of prison around the age of 80. This gives him some hope that he will be able to go back to his life outside of prison.
Leinenweber stated at the start of the hearing that he did not believe Kelly used fear to entice underage girls for sex.
“The (government’s) entire grooming theory was sort of the inverse of fear of bodily harm,” the judge explained. “It was the fear of lost love, lost affection” (Kelly). … It just doesn’t seem to me to rise to the level of fear of bodily harm.”
Prosecutors argue that Kelly’s crimes against children and his lack of remorse justify the harsher sentence.
At the start of the hearing, a calm Kelly gave a brief statement when the judge asked if he had reviewed key presentencing documents for any inaccuracies.
“Your honor, I have discussed it with my attorney,” Kelly explained. “I’m going to rely on my attorney for that.”
Kelly’s accusers asked the judge to punish him severely.
In a statement read aloud in court, a woman who testified under the alias “Jane” said she had given up on her childhood dreams of becoming a singer and her hopes for fulfilling relationships.
“Robert Kelly has stolen my dreams,” the statement said. “I’ll never be able to make up for what I lost to Robert Kelly. “Robert has left a permanent scar on me.”
During Kelly’s trial, she was a key witness for prosecutors, and four of his convictions are linked to her.
Prosecutors seek an additional 25 years in prison for R Kelly.
Federal prosecutors asked a judge on Thursday to sentence singer R. Kelly to an additional 25 years in prison for his child pornography and enticement convictions in Chicago last year, which would be in addition to the 30 years he has already served in a New York case.
“When a pedophile takes your virginity at the age of 14… your life is never your own,” Jane wrote in her statement.
Another accuser, who went by the alias “Nia,” appeared in court and addressed Kelly directly. Nia stated, her voice quivering, that Kelly would repeatedly pick at her supposed flaws while abusing her.
“Now you’re here… because something is wrong with you,” she explained. “You will no longer be able to harm children.”
Kelly was convicted last year on six of thirteen counts by a Chicago jury: three counts of producing child porn and three counts of enticing minors for sex.
Kelly rose from obscurity in Chicago to become one of the world’s most famous R&B artists. Known for his smash hit “I Believe I Can Fly” and sex-infused songs like “Bump n’ Grind,” he sold millions of albums even after allegations of sexual abuse against him surfaced in the 1990s.
Prosecutors described Kelly as a “serial sexual predator” who used his celebrity and wealth to entice, sexually abuse, and discard star-struck fans.
US Assistant Attorney Jeannice Appenteng urged the judge on Thursday to sentence Kelly to prison “for the rest of his life.”
She claimed that Kelly’s child abuse was made worse because he “memorialized” it
She claimed that Kelly’s child abuse was made worse because he “memorialized” it by filming victims, including Jane. She testified in court that Kelly “used Jane as a sex prop, a thing” for making pornographic videos.
In papers filed before the hearing, Jennifer Bonjean, Kelly’s lawyer, said that prosecutors gave an “embellished story” to try to get the judge to join the government’s “bloodthirsty campaign” to make Kelly a symbol of the #MeToo movement.
Kelly has suffered enough, according to Bonjean, including financially. She claimed he was once worth $1 billion but is now “destitute.”
In court on Thursday, Bonjean stated that Kelly would be lucky to complete his 30-year sentence in New York on his own. Giving him a second consecutive 25-year sentence “is overkill; it is symbolic,” she said. “Why? It’s because it’s R. Kelly.”
Kelly’s silence, she added, should not be interpreted as a lack of remorse.
While she advised Kelly not to speak because he is still appealing his convictions and could face further legal action, she added, “He would like to, he would like to very much.”
SOURCE – (AP)
Prince Harry in London for Privacy Lawsuits Against Daily Mail
Prince Harry made an unannounced appearance at the High Court in London on Monday morning, where a hearing is being held against the publisher of the Daily Mail. The newspaper is accused of allegedly gathering information from several celebrities illegally.
This hearing pertains to one of Prince Harry’s numerous lawsuits against the media. The expected duration is four days.
In the London court proceedings, the six plaintiffs accuse the publisher of employing detectives to wiretap them in their homes and vehicles.
Attorney David Sherborne stated, “They were the victims of numerous unlawful acts committed by the defendant or by those acting on the instructions of its newspapers, The Daily Mail and The Mail On Sunday.”
Sherborne stated that the allegations date back to 1993 and continue beyond 2018.
The publisher has denied the accusation. In October, it refuted “absolutely and unequivocally these preposterous smears that appear to be nothing more than a planned and orchestrated attempt to drag the Mail’s headlines into the wiretapping scandal involving 30-year-old articles.”
The publisher stated that the claims are too old to be brought and should be dismissed because they are based on confidential information in newspapers provided in 2012 for an investigation into media law-breaking.
After revelations in 2011 that News of the World tabloid employees eavesdropped on the mobile phone voicemails of celebrities, politicians, and a teen murder victim, Britain conducted a yearlong investigation into press ethics.
More than sixty journalists were detained as a result of the scandal.
Prince Harry May Not Be Included In the Procession
The coronation of King Charles III is scheduled for May of this year, and whether his youngest son Prince Harry and his wife, Meghan Markle, will attend has been the subject of much speculation.
Leaked plans for the Coronation rehearsal indicate that Prince Harry will likely be on the sidelines if they are present at Westminster Abbey.
According to a report from The Times of London, there is no place for Harry and Meghan in the procession, even though they have been invited to the ceremony. The King’s brother, Prince Andrew, the Duke of York, and his daughters, Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie, were excluded from the procession.
The procession is significantly smaller than at The Queen’s 1953 coronation, which was reportedly three times as large. Charles’ plans appear to be limited to “working” royals.
William, the eldest son of Charles, will participate in the procession alongside his wife, Kate Middleton. George, Charlotte, and Louis will accompany the Prince and Princess of Wales. In September, Louis was deemed too young to participate in the procession for the Queen’s funeral, but he will be included this spring.
The children of Meghan and Prince Harry, Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet, have not been invited to the Coronation. One may arrive later, but the ceremony is quickly approaching.
Early in March, the Sussexes confirmed that their representative had received an invitation, but a spokesperson added, “At this time, we will not disclose whether or not the Duke and Duchess will attend.”
The Sun reported that an anonymous source told the OK! magazine that “tense” negotiations are underway to determine whether or not Meghan and Harry will be there in May.
The alleged insider stated, “The Palace is attempting to conclude negotiations as quickly as possible because they cannot go to the wire.” “It could result in anarchy. It is possible that it will result in a stalemate and that they will not attend. However, the Palace is doing everything possible to prevent this from occurring.
The Palace is coordinating two separate schedules. One with the Sussexes and the other without. They wish to be ready for any contingency.”
Gwyneth Paltrow Ski Accuser Calls Utah Ski Crash ‘Serious Smack’
PARK CITY, Ute. The man suing Gwyneth Paltrow for a 2016 skiing accident at an upmarket Utah resort told a jury on Monday that the actress-turned-lifestyle blogger hit him from behind and sent him “absolutely flying.”
“All I could see was a lot of snow.” “And I didn’t see the sky, but I was flying,” said Terry Sanderson, 76, a retired optometrist, who described the impact as “a serious smack.”
That contradicts Paltrow’s testimony, and as the trial enters its second week, the jury has heard opposing tales. Sanderson, according to Paltrow, was uphill and hit her from behind. He’s suing her for over $300,000, claiming she skied carelessly and that the incident permanently damaged his personality.
Paltrow testified on Friday that Sanderson hit her gently from behind, but the incident worsened as the two went down the novice slope. She added that his skis went between her legs, causing her to fear as she heard a man sigh behind her. Paltrow appeared in court on Monday.
Sanderson remembered a screaming woman skidding out of control and slamming into him in the rear. Craig Ramon, another skier who claims to be the only eyewitness to the accident, testified last week that he witnessed Paltrow collide with Sanderson.
Regardless of who hit who, both parties agreed that the two fell, and Paltrow landed on top of Sanderson. Paltrow’s attorneys have challenged the extent of Sanderson’s injuries and post-crash disorientation, but both parties agree the impact resulted in four broken ribs and a concussion.
Sanderson was moved to tears several times during his testimony on Monday, especially when he appeared unable to focus or remember things.
The fancy mountain must be equipped with a helmet camera because they are commonplace at ski resorts
His legal team attempted to depict his bewilderment and memory lapses as evidence of brain injury. Paltrow’s lawyers used it to call into question his credibility as a witness.
Sanderson’s testimony also raised new concerns regarding the possibility of a GoPro helmet camera recording the crash. Though no video was shown in court, attorneys frequently questioned witnesses about an email one of his daughters sent that said, “I also can’t believe this is all on GoPro.”
Shae Herath that daughter said this week that her statements were speculative, implying that someone on the fancy mountain must be equipped with a helmet camera because they are commonplace at ski resorts.
Paltrow’s attorneys have continued to raise concerns about what happened to the footage Sanderson and his family members mentioned.
On Monday, it became evident that the potentially explosive evidence would not detonate.
Judge Kent Holmberg stated that online sleuths discovered the link, and its contents would be used as evidence. It didn’t include any GoPro footage. Instead, it was a conversation amongst Sanderson’s ski group members in which Ramon — the man claiming to be the crash’s lone eyewitness — stated that Paltrow had plowed into Sanderson on the day of the crash.
“Terry was struck unconscious. “That was a bad hit to the head!” Ramon penned a letter. “I saw the hit.” Terry had no idea what his name was.”
The exchange revealed that Ramon believed Paltrow collided with Sanderson years before any lawsuit was filed. It also demonstrates that Sanderson and those skiing with him recognized Paltrow as the woman in the collision.
Simulations of how they believed the collision occurred, with high enough clarity to depict trees, children’s ski jackets
Paltrow’s defense team had an equal opportunity to present their case after Sanderson’s counsel called witnesses for four and a half days. They brought one of her family’s four ski instructors to the stand on Monday afternoon. Attorneys indicated Monday that Paltrow’s two teenage children, Moses and Apple, would have their depositions read into the record later this week rather than testifying in court.
Jurors sat spellbound as Paltrow’s attorneys showed computer-animated simulations of how they believed the collision occurred, with high enough clarity to depict trees, children’s ski jackets, and different vantage points.
The defense called Eric Christiansen, a mustachioed 40-year experienced ski instructor teaching Paltrow’s family at Deer Valley Resort on the day of the crash, as their first witness. He claimed he was monitoring most of the mountain when Sanderson and Paltrow crashed and didn’t see the impact but did observe what transpired just before and after.
Christiansen said that Paltrow was doing “short radius turns” while Sanderson was skiing down the groomed run “edge to edge” and “quite dynamically” in testimony that veered into skiing technique instruction.
He recalled Paltrow landing on top of Sanderson because he approached and removed her skis, then Sanderson’s.
“I believe you told me once that if a soccer player takes out someone’s legs, they’re underneath,” Paltrow’s lawyer, Steve Owens, said as he questioned her about the accident.
Paltrow’s lawyers intend to call a slew of medical specialists to testify against the neurologists, radiologists, and psychologists recruited by Sanderson’s team.
The trial has also touched on wealthy people’s habits and interests, such as Sanderson and Paltrow, and the power — and burden — of notoriety. The amount of money at stake for both parties is modest compared to the standard legal costs of a multiyear case, expert witnesses, a private security detail, and high-resolution animation.
Throughout the first five days of the trial, much of the questioning focused on Sanderson’s reason for suing Paltrow. Her lawyers claim the case is an attempt by an “obsessed” individual to take advantage of Paltrow’s wealth and reputation. Sanderson’s lawyers have attempted to portray Paltrow as a carefree movie star who harmed an elderly man and cannot accept responsibility for the consequences.
“No one believed how serious my injuries were,” said Sanderson, who had previously enjoyed wine tasting and international travel. “There were numerous insults added to that single incident.”
SOURCE – (AP)
John Wick: Chapter 4 Ending
For fans, John Wick: Chapter 4’s conclusion was a surprise.
Wick defeats the evil Marquis Vincent de Gramont (Bill Skarsgard) in a dramatic duel, although he appears to be mortally wounded after taking one too many shots. He says the name of his late wife, “Helen,” who passed away in the first scene of the 2014 film John Wick. Winston (Ian McShane) stands at Wick’s grave in the movie’s concluding scene after he appears to pass away.
A fan approached the director Chad Stahelski and the star Keanu Reeves about the movie’s ending when it had just debuted at the South by Southwest Film & TV Festival.
We got to make another movie due to Chapter Three’s audience response, and we wondered, “What was the Why?” Reeves appears to be referring to the main purpose of Chapter 4 when he says this. “And as Chad and I were chatting, the Why? Was death, namely the death of John Wick. John Wick the film aimed for him to find some measure of liberation or calm. Let’s do another one can’t be the only response. In essence, it was about death or a method of dying. ‘The Hagakure’ greatly inspired us.
And as Chad and I were chatting, the Why? Was death, namely the death of John Wick
Stahelski mentions that the Hagakure is a Japanese code of ethics. Hagakure: The Book of the Samurai is devoted to its principles and calls itself “a practical and spiritual guide for a warrior.”
According to Stahelski, “we kind of took the way of dying — or the way we live well to die well — as the theme.”
When asked which sequence in the movie he liked best, Reeves cited Wick’s climactic exchange. “Maybe him at the end on the stairs,” he continues, “if I just looked at from [John’s perspective] John Wick.” “When he calls me Helen. After filming the [big fight on the other set of stairs] and about eight years into the job, that part was [a moving nod] to the past for me.
John Wick could have pulled it off earlier; why would he wait until the very end?
Stahelski had planned to film the fourth and fifth episodes back-to-back before the outbreak. Later, the filmmakers notified the media that they were waiting and watching. A post-credits scene provides the possibility for a spinoff centered on Rina Sawayama’s Akira and Caine, played by Donnie Yen.
While Reeves and Stahelski seemed pretty certain that Baba Yaga was dead, the editing of Chapter 4’s final moments leaves just enough room for interpretation (Wick isn’t explicitly shown dead) should the filmmakers choose to bring him back John Wick with a faked-his-own-death revelation. However, doing so would weaken the impact of the Chapter 4 ending and be illogical (if John Wick could have pulled it off earlier, why would he wait until the very end?
A prequel set before Wick retired to start a family is another option, should Reeves decide to take on the role again. However, this would need Wick to play a much younger version of the character than we’ve ever seen. Reeves was told by an SXSW audience member that he doesn’t appear to age, which is a blessing. Yeah, man, I get old,” Reeves said groggily. “Man, it’s happening.”
SOURCE – (HR)
- Dan Snyder’s Future In 2023 A Hot Topic At NFL Owners Meetings 2023-03-28
- North Korea Test-Fires 2 More Missiles As US Sends Carrier 2023-03-28
- Lyft To Pick Up New CEO Amid Deepening Post-Pandemic Losses 2023-03-28
- Strike Over Pay Paralyzes Rail, Air Travel In Germany 2023-03-28
- Minnesota Suit Against E-Cigarette Maker Juul Goes To Trial 2023-03-28
- Prince Harry in London for Privacy Lawsuits Against Daily Mail 2023-03-28
- Lamar Jackson Says He Has Requested Trade From Ravens 2023-03-28
- Gwyneth Paltrow Ski Accuser Calls Utah Ski Crash ‘Serious Smack’ 2023-03-28
Dan Snyder’s Future In 2023 A Hot Topic At NFL Owners Meetings
North Korea Test-Fires 2 More Missiles As US Sends Carrier
Lyft To Pick Up New CEO Amid Deepening Post-Pandemic Losses
Dell Will Invest $125 Billion in China’s Tech in the Next 5 Years
The Secret to Your Company’s Financial Health is Very Important
A Look at How Social Media & Mobile Gaming Can Increase Sales
News5 months ago
Climate Activists Block Private Jets in Netherlands
News3 months ago
Cryptocurrency OneCoin Boss Pleads Guilty to Fraud, Money Laundering
News3 months ago
Pfizer Covid-19 Vaccine Not Included in China’s Insurance
Science3 months ago
Chinese Government Halts Visas For Japan, South Korea In COVID-19 Fight
Business4 months ago
Crypto Exchange FTX Collapses, Files for Bankruptcy
News5 months ago
Powerball Jackpot Hits a Staggering US$1.6 Billion