Boy 6 Detained By Police After Shooting His Teacher in Virginia
A six-year-old boy is in police custody after shooting his 30-year-old elementary school teacher in the US state of Virginia, according to Police Chief Steve Drew. The shooting occurred shortly after 14:00 local time (19:00 GMT) at Richneck Elementary School in the city of Newport.
It is unclear how the child obtained the hand gun, but Mr Drew said the incident was not “an accidental shooting“.
The teacher, who has not been identified and is said to be in her 30s, suffered life-threatening injuries.
She was taken to a nearby hospital and is being closely monitored by medical personnel. After an altercation between the two, the incident occurred in a first grade (ages six to seven) classroom.
But Mr Drew emphasized that the shooting had been an isolated incident and stressed that officers “did not have a situation where someone was going around the school shooting”.
Officials stated that while the school had metal detection equipment, students were checked at random and not every child was inspected.
The weapon used in the incident was not named by police, but the boy did use a handgun.
School District Head Dr George Parker said officials would “be looking at any instance that may have occurred that may have caused this incident”.
“This is terrible; something like this should never happen,” added Dr Parker. “We want to make certain that nothing like this happens again.”
He announced that the school would be closed on Monday and promised that students and parents would be given assistance in dealing with the traumatic event.
The shooting marked “a dark day for Newport News,” according to Mayor Phillip Jones, who took office only three days ago.
“We’ll learn from this, and we’ll come back stronger,” he told reporters.
Virginia Governor Glenn Youngkin said his administration was “ready to help in any way we can” and that he had offered assistance to local officials. “I am still monitoring the situation and praying for the continued safety of all students and the community,” he said on Twitter.
Past Shootings in Virginia
Newport News, Virginia, is a city of about 185,000 people in southeastern Virginia known for its shipyard, which produces aircraft carriers and other US Navy vessels.
According to the Virginia Department of Education’s website, Richneck has approximately 550 students in kindergarten through fifth grade.
Six-year-olds cannot be tried as adults under Virginia law. Furthermore, if found guilty, a 6-year-old is too young to be committed to the custody of the Department of Juvenile Justice.
A juvenile judge, on the other hand, would have the authority to revoke a parent’s custody and place a child under the jurisdiction of the Department of Social Services.
According to James Alan Fox, a criminologist at Boston’s Northeastern University, a school shooting involving a 6-year-old is extremely rare.
He told The Associated Press on Friday that he could only recall one previous incident involving a child of that age.
According to an Associated Press article, in 2000, a 6-year-old boy fired a bullet from a.32-caliber gun inside Buell Elementary near Flint, Michigan, 60 miles (96 kilometers) from Detroit, striking 6-year-old Kayla Rolland in the neck. She passed away a half-hour later.
Fox examined data sets from the Center for Homeland Defense and Security at the Naval Postgraduate School in Monterey, California, dating back to 1970. He claimed that the data only included school shootings involving children aged 7, 8, and 9, but not 6-year-olds.
Another feature of the Virginia shooting that stands out is that it occurred in a classroom, according to Fox. Many take place outside of a school, where students are unsupervised.
From 2010 to 2021, there were over 800 school-related shootings in K-12 schools, with 1,149 people killed. According to Fox, who published the book “Violence and Security on Campus: From Preschool Through College” in 2010, 30% of those incidents occurred on school grounds.
“There have been cases of students killing teachers, usually high school students,” Fox said. “I’m not aware of any other cases in which a 6-year-old shot a teacher.”
CNN Ousts CEO Chris Licht After A Brief, Tumultuous Tenure
THE NEW YORK CNN fired Chief Executive Chris Licht, After a turbulent year in charge of the faltering news organization, culminating in a stinging magazine feature and the growing realization that he’d lost the trust of the network’s journalists, CNN fired Chief Executive Chris Licht.
Just two days after Licht declared he would “fight like hell” to earn the respect of those around him, the change was revealed at CNN’s editorial meeting on Wednesday morning.
In addition to appointing a four-person interim leadership team, Warner Bros. Discovery CEO David Zaslav announced during the editorial meeting that he would conduct a comprehensive search for Licht’s replacement.
Republicans had grown increasingly wary of the network due to frequent attacks by the late President Donald Trump. Thus, Licht was mandated to try and make CNN more appealing to both sides of the country’s political spectrum.
However, several network employees viewed Licht’s call for change as a rejection of their prior efforts, and a live town hall interview with Trump last month generated strong opposition.
Don Lemon was fired from the network’s morning show earlier this year after Licht tried to modernize it, but it was unsuccessful. Creating a new prime-time lineup was protracted, as Kaitlan Collins was only recently chosen to host the 9 p.m. hour, which has been without a permanent host since Chris Cuomo was let go in December 2021.
CNN fired Chief Executive Chris Licht.
Just over a year ago, Zaslav appointed Licht to succeed Jeff Zucker, a well-liked predecessor who had created shows like MSNBC’s “Morning Joe,” CBS’ morning news program, and Stephen Colbert’s late-night show. Zucker was let go for failing to disclose a mutually beneficial relationship with another CNN executive.
The position “was never going to be easy, especially at a time of great disruption and transformation,” Zaslav wrote in a memo to CNN employees.
He remarked, “Chris put his heart and soul into it. It has been clear throughout his tenure that he has a great affection for journalism and this industry. Unfortunately, things did not turn out as we had intended, and in the end, I was responsible.
An inquiry for comment from Licht has yet to receive a response.
“Inside the Meltdown at CNN,” a lengthy profile of Licht that appeared in Atlantic magazine on Friday, proved embarrassing and probably sealed his demise. Before he arrived, Licht criticized some of CNN’s COVID coverage, which infuriated some journalists.
According to a Wall Street Journal piece published Tuesday night, Jake Tapper, Anderson Cooper, and Erin Burnett, three of CNN’s top anchors, reportedly privately voiced their disapproval of Licht’s management.
In the meantime, viewers were leaving. With 494,000 viewers in May, CNN’s prime-time audience was down 16% from April and fell short of MSNBC, its nearest competitor in the news market.
Amy Entelis, Virginia Moseley, Eric Sherling, and David Leavy, four current CNN executives, were chosen by Zaslav to lead the network while a replacement is sought.
In the message, Zaslav stated, “We are in good hands, allowing us to take the time we need to run a thoughtful and thorough search for a new leader.”
SOURCE – (AP)
Some ‘Diablo IV’ Players Report Invalid License Error Message After Early Access Launch
Washington, D.C. The highly anticipated action role-playing video game “Diablo IV” launched its early access on Thursday night. However, there were some delays, particularly for PlayStation players.
While many players who pre-purchased eligible “Diablo IV” editions experienced no problems with the early access launch, some PS5 users reported getting an invalid licensing error message. After initially stating that a server-side balance update had been implemented, Blizzard acknowledged the problem.
A software upgrade known as a hotfix focuses on a single problem and normally does not cause service interruptions.
The most recent game in the Blizzard “Diablo” series, which debuted in 1996, is titled “Diablo IV” and was released in May 2012. This is more than ten years after “Diablo III”‘s debut. Although the game’s early access began on Thursday, the launch is set for the following week.
Diablo’s general manager, Rod Fergusson, referred to “Diablo IV” as “our most brutal vision of Sanctuary,” the make-believe setting for the game. He continued, saying that it incorporates “the darkness of the original game” and expands on significant elements from other games in the franchise.
Activision Blizzard, the parent business of Blizzard Entertainment, announced in April that its net sales for the first quarter of 2023 increased to $2.38 billion from $1.77 billion. Activision reported that “Diablo IV” presales were robust, indicating that the game had undergone successful public testing.
What you need to know about “Diablo IV’s” upcoming official release and early access launch on Thursday is provided here.
WHEN DOES DIABLO IV COMMENCE?
Depending on your local time zone, “Diablo IV” will be formally published on Tuesday or Wednesday next week. The game will begin in the United States on Tuesday at 7 p.m. ET (4 p.m. PT).
Although “Diablo IV” is set to be on sale next week, early access started a few days earlier, on either Thursday or Friday, depending on where you are. Players who pre-purchased the game’s digital deluxe or ultimate edition were expected to have early access.
Additionally, some devices allow players who have previously purchased “Diablo IV” to pre-load the game. According to Blizzard, pre-loading is possible for Windows PC, Xbox, and PlayStation.
DIABLO IV “UNABLE TO FIND LICENCE”?
Although early access appeared to open without incident for the majority of gamers, some PS5 users reported receiving an error message that stated, “unable to find a valid licence for Diablo IV,” according to posts on Blizzard’s community forums and social media. Players on the PS5 appeared to be the ones most affected by the problem, but some other users said they also received the notice on Xbox and other platforms.
In a forum post late Thursday night, Blizzard recognized the PlayStation customers’ complaints. Adam Fletcher, director of global community development, later claimed that “Diablo IV” had received a server-side balance update implemented across all platforms.
How many early access players were affected by the problem is unknown. On Blizzard’s forum, some angry customers reported that they were still having access issues as of Friday morning.
The Associated Press requested statements from Blizzard and PlayStation on Friday morning.
WHAT CLASSES DO DIABLO IV CHARACTERS FALL INTO?
“Diablo IV” reportedly takes place decades after the events of “Diablo III: Reaper of Souls.” The angel Inarius and the demon Lilith have started a battle and are at odds.
In “Diablo IV,” players can choose from one of five classes: Druids, Rogues, Sorceresses, Barbarians, or Necromancers.
At launch, “Diablo IV” will support couch co-op and cross-platform play on Windows PC, Xbox Series X, Xbox One, PlayStation 5, and PlayStation 4, among other platforms.
Financial results for Activation for 2022, Microsoft Deal
In 2022, Activision, the company behind “Call of Duty,” “Candy Crush,” and “World of Warcraft,” recorded net revenues of $7.53 billion, a decrease from the $8.8 billion reported in 2021.
Microsoft revealed plans to buy Activision in January 2022, but the historic transaction is doubtful more than a year later. Last month, the European Union authorized the $69 billion purchase, but British regulators halted it due to concerns about competition. Authorities in the US are also attempting to block the merger.
Regulators worldwide have scrutinized the agreement because of concern that it will give Microsoft and its Xbox platform control of popular s. PlayStation maker rival Sony has led a ferocious opposition.
Activision and Microsoft have appealed to a tribunal about the U.K. ruling. Liam Deane, a gaming industry analyst at digital research and consultancy firm Omdia, previously told The Associated Press that if the appeal is unsuccessful, Microsoft would be compelled to either cancel the arrangement or carve out the U.K. as a distinct market, which appeared to be an impractical choice.
SOURCE – (AP)
Passenger Train Derails In India, Killing At Least 50, Trapping Many Others
NEW DELHI — At least 50 people were killed, and hundreds more were trapped inside more than a dozen damaged rail cars when two passenger trains in India crashed on Friday, according to officials.
According to officials, the disaster occurred in eastern India, around 220 kilometers (137 miles) southwest of Kolkata, and about 400 people were sent to hospitals. The cause was being looked into.
Amitabh Sharma, a spokesman for the railway ministry, reported that ten to twelve coaches of one train derailed, and pieces of some of the damaged coaches fell onto an adjacent track.
According to Sharma, a passenger train traveling the other way struck the debris, and up to three coaches of the second train also derailed.
According to the Press Trust of India news agency, a third goods train was reportedly apparently involved, but there was no immediate confirmation from railway authorities.
Television photos from the aftermath showed rescuers scaling the rubble to pry open doors and windows and use cutting torches to free trapped survivors.
A passenger train traveling the other way struck the debris, and up to three coaches of the second train also derailed.
Vandana Kaleda, a passenger, said to the New Delhi Television news station that she “found people falling on each other” as her carriage shook erratically and deviated from the lines. She claimed that her survival was fortuitous.
Another survivor, who wished to remain anonymous, claimed that the impact woke him up while he was asleep. He claimed to have observed other people with damaged faces and shattered limbs.
At least 50 persons were reported dead, according to Balasore district’s senior administrator Dattatraya Bhausaheb Shinde. At least 70 people had died, according to The Press Trust.
According to Pradeep Jena, the state’s chief executive officer of Odisha, there were close to 500 police officers and rescue personnel at the scene, along with 75 ambulances and buses.
Rescuers were working to release 200 individuals who were thought to be trapped in the rubble, according to Shinde.
The Coromandel Express, which derailed, was traveling from Howrah in West Bengal state to Chennai, the state capital of southern Tamil Nadu, according to The Press Trust.
Narendra Modi, the prime minister of India, expressed sympathy for the deceased families.
Having spoken with the railway minister, Modi tweeted, “May the injured recover soon,” adding that “all possible assistance” was being provided.
Several hundred incidents happen annually on India’s railways, the world’s largest train network with single management, despite government efforts to increase rail safety.
The deadliest train catastrophe in Indian history occurred in August 1995 when two trains crashed close to New Delhi, killing 358 people.
Human mistakes or out-of-date signaling equipment are the main causes of trains accidents.
Every day, 14,000 trains carrying more than 12 million passengers traverse India’s 64,000 kilometers (40,000 miles) of railway.
SOURCE – (AP)
- CNN Ousts CEO Chris Licht After A Brief, Tumultuous Tenure 2023-06-07
- Oscar Winner Cuba Gooding Jr. Settles Civil Sex Abuse Case, Averting Trial 2023-06-06
- Astrud Gilberto, Singer Of ‘The Girl from Ipanema,’ Dead At 83 2023-06-06
- Carlos Alcaraz Likes To Watch Replays Of his Best Shots 2023-06-05
- Navalny Supporters Hold Demonstrations To Mark Russian Opposition Leader’s 47th Birthday 2023-06-05
- Delta Air Lines Hit With Lawsuit Over Claims Of Carbon Neutrality 2023-06-05
- Jonah Hill And Olivia Millar Step Out After Welcoming First Baby 2023-06-05
- Boris Johnson’s WhatsApp Messages And Why People In Britain Talking About Them 2023-06-02
CNN Ousts CEO Chris Licht After A Brief, Tumultuous Tenure
Oscar Winner Cuba Gooding Jr. Settles Civil Sex Abuse Case, Averting Trial
Astrud Gilberto, Singer Of ‘The Girl from Ipanema,’ Dead At 83
A Look at How Social Media & Mobile Gaming Can Increase Sales
Boxtrade Lands $50 Million in Another New Funding Round with IBM
The Secret to Your Company’s Financial Health is Very Important
News5 months ago
Pfizer Covid-19 Vaccine Not Included in China’s Insurance
Science5 months ago
Chinese Government Halts Visas For Japan, South Korea In COVID-19 Fight
Beauty5 months ago
New, Barbie Doll Is Aimed At Kids As Young As 3
Science5 months ago
Tornado hits Selma, Alabama; 8 deaths reported
Celebrity5 months ago
Golden Globes: Jennifer Coolidge Stole The Show With Laughter
Tech5 months ago
Social Media Faces Lawsuits From Schools Over Mental Health Effects