Connect with us

News

Elon Musk Restores Journalists Twitter Accounts After Leftist Lose Their Minds

Published

on

Elon Musk Restores Journalists Twitter Accounts

Elon Musk has reactivated several journalists’ Twitter accounts, suspended for a day due to a controversy over the publication of flight data about his plane and his son’s safety.

The reinstatements came after the journalist’s suspensions drew harsh criticism on Friday from government officials, advocacy groups, and journalism organizations worldwide, with some claiming the microblogging platform jeopardized press freedom.

A later Twitter poll by Musk revealed that most respondents wanted the accounts restored immediately.

“The populace has spoken. “Accounts that doxxed my location will be unblocked now,” Musk said in a tweet on Saturday.

Twitter did not immediately respond to a request for comment from Reuters. According to Reuters, the suspended accounts, which included journalists from the New York Times, CNN, and the Washington Post, have since been restored.

French, German, British, and European Union officials had previously condemned the suspensions.

The incident, dubbed the “Thursday Night Massacre” by one well-known security researcher, is being viewed as new evidence of Musk, who considers himself a “free speech absolutist,” eliminating speech and users he dislikes.

elon musk, twitter, tesla

Tesla TSLA.O shares fell 4.7% on Friday, posting their worst weekly loss since March 2020, as investors became increasingly concerned about Musk’s distraction and the slowing global economy.

The French minister of industry, Roland Lescure, tweeted on Friday that, in response to Musk’s suspension of journalists, he would suspend his Twitter activity.

The United Nations’ head of communications, Melissa Fleming, tweeted that the suspensions were “deeply disturbing” and that “media freedom is not a toy.” The German Foreign Office warned Twitter that moves that jeopardized press freedom were unacceptable.

The suspensions resulted from a disagreement over a Twitter account called ElonJet, which used publicly available information to track Musk’s private plane.

Despite Musk’s previous tweet saying he would not suspend ElonJet in the name of free speech, Twitter suspended the account and others that tracked private jets on Wednesday.

Twitter’s privacy policy was soon changed to prohibit the sharing of “live location information.”

Then, on Thursday evening, several journalists, including those from the New York Times, CNN, and the Washington Post, were abruptly suspended from Twitter.

elon musk, twitter

Twitter’s head of trust and safety, Ella Irwin, said in an email to Reuters overnight that the team manually reviewed “any accounts” that violated the new privacy policy by posting direct links to the ElonJet account.

“I understand that the emphasis appears to be primarily on journalistic accounts, but we applied the policy equally to journalistic and non-journalistic accounts today,” Irwin wrote in an email.

According to the Society for Advancing Business Editing and Writing, Twitter’s actions “violate the spirit of the First Amendment and the principle that social media platforms will allow the unfiltered distribution of information that is already in the public square,” according to a statement issued on Friday.

Musk accused journalists of publishing his current location, which he described as “basically assassination coordinates” for his family.

The billionaire briefly appeared in a Twitter Spaces audio chat hosted by journalists, which quickly devolved into a heated debate over whether the suspended journalists had exposed Musk’s real-time location in violation of the policy.

“You are suspended if you dox. “End of story,” Musk repeatedly responded to questions. “Doxing” is publishing private information about another person, usually with malicious intent.

Drew Harwell of the Washington Post, one of the journalists suspended but able to participate in the audio chat, pushed back against the notion that he had exposed Musk or his family’s exact location by posting a link to ElonJet.

Soon after, BuzzFeed reporter Katie Notopoulos, who hosted the Spaces chat, tweeted that the audio session had been abruptly cut off and that the recording was no longer available.

Musk explained what happened in a tweet: “We’re fixing a Legacy bug. “I should be at work tomorrow.”

twitter, ben collins, elon musk

NBC Journalist Suspended Over reporting on Twitter and Elon Musk

Meanwhile, NBC News has temporarily suspended journalist Ben Collins, who covers disinformation and extremism and their intersection with digital platforms, from regular reporting on Twitter and Elon Musk, according to a person familiar with the situation, citing social media comments that the NBCUniversal news organization felt were inconsistent with its editorial standards.

NBC News declined to comment on executives, saying it would not comment on personnel matters. Collins’ decision was previously reported by the online news outlet Semafor.

According to this person, NBC News decided earlier in December after warning Collins several times about his comments about Twitter and Musk. Collins is still on the job and has been active on Twitter recently.

Meanwhile, Musk’s efforts to silence several prominent journalists on Twitter have widened the schism between the social media platform and several mainstream media outlets.

He suspended the accounts of The New York Times’ Ryan Mac, the Washington Post’s Drew Harwell, CNN’s Donie O’Sullivan, Mashable’s Matt Binder, and the Intercept’s Micah Lee, as well as progressive journalist Aaron Rupar and former MSNBC and ESPN anchor Keith Olbermann, on Thursday.

Many journalists had written about Musk’s decision to ban the @ElonJet account, which tracked the movements of his private jet, on Wednesday, or had been critical of Musk on Twitter. Some journalists had tweeted a link to the tracking account on Mastodon Social, Twitter’s rival.

“The rash and unjustified suspension of several journalists, including CNN’s Donie O’Sullivan, is troubling but unsurprising,” CNN said in a statement.

“Twitter’s increasing instability and volatility should be of incredible concern for everyone who uses Twitter. We have requested an explanation from Twitter and will reassess our relationship based on their response.

News

THAILAND: Rescue Dig Saves Toddler Trapped In Well For One Night

Published

on

thailand

BANGKOK, Thailand — A 19-month-old girl fell into a dry artesian well shaft at a cassava farm in northern Thailand 18 hours before she was saved. It took rescuers all night to get her out.

Rescuers clapped and cheered as the toddler, the daughter of Myanmar migrant workers, was pulled from the 15-meter (49-foot)-deep well shaft and placed on a stretcher that carried her to an ambulance waiting nearby.

“You guys did an excellent job. “We did it!” exclaimed one rescuer as his colleagues wept and hugged each other in Tak province’s Phop Phra district.

While her parents were working at the plantation, the child fell into the hole late Monday afternoon.

thailand rescue

Rescuers In Thailand Were On The Scene Quickly

The deep pit, dug by the landowner to be an artesian well, was left uncovered after it failed to reach groundwater, according to Phop Phra district chief Sanya Phetset on Tuesday.

According to local media, the first rescuers on the scene shouted down the hole and heard the child cry back. After lowering a camera into the hole to assess the situation, a tube was snaked to provide oxygen.

Using backhoes and other excavation tools, rescuers dug a 30-centimeter-wide trench alongside the pit overnight.

thailand rescue

The Child Is Now Safe And Sound

“At first, it appeared to be a simple operation because it appeared to be loose dirt, but once we started digging, we discovered rock, which made it difficult because excavators cannot dig through it,” Sanya explained.

He explained that the operation was risky because the digging could collapse the well’s sides onto the child.

After being carried to safety, the toddler was immediately taken to Phop Phra Hospital in Thailand.

“She is now safe. “She’s a little tired, but nothing serious,” Sanya explained.

SOURCE – (AP)

 

Continue Reading

News

Pope Francis Clarifies his Remarks on Homosexuality and Sin

Published

on

By

Pope Francis Clarifies his Remarks on Homosexuality and Sin

Pope Francis has clarified his recent remarks about homosexuality and sin, stating that he was referring to official Catholic moral teaching, which states that any sexual act other than marriage is a sin.

In a Friday note, Francis emphasized that even black-and-white teaching is subject to circumstances that may eliminate the sin.

Francis made the remarks in an interview with The Associated Press on January 24, stating that laws criminalizing homosexuality are “unjust” and that “being homosexual is not a crime.”

As he often does, Francis then imagined a conversation with someone who brought up the issue of the church’s official teaching, which states that homosexual acts are sinful or “intrinsically disordered.”

“All right, but first, let’s distinguish between a sin and a crime,” Francis said in the fictitious conversation. “It is also a sin not to be charitable to one another.”

pope

Pope asked for Clarification.

LGBTQ advocates hailed his comments calling for decriminalizing homosexuality as a watershed moment that would help end harassment and violence against LGBTQ people. However, his use of the word “sin” raised questions about whether he believed that simply being gay was a sin in and of itself.

The Reverand James Martin, an American priest who runs the Outreach ministry for LGBTQ Catholics in the United States, asked Francis for clarification and published the pope’s handwritten response late Friday on the Outreach website.

In his note, Francis reiterated that homosexuality “is not a crime” and that he was trying “to emphasize that criminalization is neither good nor just.”

“When I said it is a sin, I was simply referring to Catholic moral teaching, which states that every sexual act other than marriage is a sin,” Francis wrote in Spanish, emphasizing the final phrase.

However, in a nod to his case-by-case approach to pastoral ministry, Francis noted that even teaching is subject to the circumstances, “which may decrease or eliminate the fault.”

pope

Sex is a Sin, as is Any Sexual Act

He admitted he could have been more specific in his comments to the AP. However, he stated that he was using “natural and conversational language” in the interview, which did not necessitate precise definitions.

“As you can see, I was generally repeating something. ‘Sex is a sin, as is any sexual act outside of the bonds of holy marriage,’ I should have said. This is to speak of ‘the matter’ of sexual sin, but we all know that Catholic morality considers not only the matter but also freedom and intention, and this for all types of sin,” he said.

According to Human Dignity Trust, which works to end such laws, 67 countries or jurisdictions worldwide criminalize same-sex sexual activity, 11 of which can or do impose the death penalty. According to experts, even when laws are not enforced, they contribute to harassment, stigma, and violence against LGBTQ people.

According to Catholic teaching, marriage is a lifelong bond between a man and a woman. It restricts intercourse with married couples and prohibits artificial contraception.

During his decade-long pontificate, Francis has upheld that teaching while prioritizing outreach to LGBTQ people.

Pope Francis has emphasized a more merciful approach to applying church doctrine, preferring to accompany rather than judge people.

Continue Reading

News

US General Tells His Officers to Prepare for War with China in 2025

Published

on

By

US General Tells His Officers to Prepare for War with China in 2025

In an internal memo, a four-star general in the United States Air Force stated that the US and China risk going to war in two years and advised officers under his command to prepare, including with target practice.

According to NBC, General Mike Minihan, head of the Air Force’s Air Mobility Command, believes the fight will take place in 2025 but hopes he is wrong. He claimed that presidential elections in the United States and Taiwan in 2024 would allow China to take action against Taiwan.

According to NBC, a Defense Department official stated that the remarks do not represent the Pentagon’s position on China. According to an Air Mobility Command spokesperson, the memo is part of the command’s effort to prepare for conflict if deterrence fails.

The administration of President Joe Biden has repeatedly expressed concern about China’s military buildup and what the US perceives to be a more aggressive Chinese stance toward Taiwan.

According to the administration’s national security strategy, China is the only US competitor “with the intent to reshape the international order and, increasingly, the economic, diplomatic, military, and technological power to do so.”

China has slammed the latest US defense spending bill, which allows up to $10 billion in weapons sales to Taiwan, for exaggerating the China threat and meddling in its internal affairs.

china

Blinken Conerned Over Taiwan and China

Meanwhile, US Secretary of State Antony Blinken expressed concern about Beijing’s intentions regarding Taiwan as he prepares for a rare visit to Beijing, China.

When asked if the temperature had cooled with China during a visit to the University of Chicago, Blinken replied, “I think so because when you’re talking and engaging, it tends to have that effect.”

“The rest of the world anticipates that we will manage this relationship responsibly. “They understand that how we manage it will also impact them,” he said.

According to Taipei Times, Blinken will visit Beijing from February 5 to 6, marking the first US secretary of state visit to the rising Asian power since October 2018.

The trip was decided after US President Joe Biden and Chinese President Xi Jinping () met in November in Bali, Indonesia, to discuss wide-ranging disagreements between the world’s two largest economies.

Blinken, on the other hand, expressed concern about Taiwan, citing Beijing’s growing efforts to isolate the country and major military exercises conducted near it in August.

“What we’ve seen over the last few years is, I believe, China deciding that it was no longer comfortable with the status quo, a status quo that had prevailed for decades and had been successful in terms of our countries’ relationship and managing what a difficult situation is,” he said.

“What we say to China is that — they say this is a sovereign issue for us; we respond that this is an interest to the United States and countries all over the world,” Blinken said, referring to Taiwan’s dominance in semiconductors, which is critical to the global economy.

Any disruption of peace and stability across the Taiwan Strait would be disastrous for the global economy, he said, adding that 50 percent of container ships operating around the world pass through the Taiwan Strait and that Taiwan manufactures 70 percent of higher-end computer chips.

Blinken was in Chicago for a trip that included a stop at the city’s historic Ukrainian community to discuss the response to Russia’s invasion.

By: Geoff Thomas

China Records 1st Population Drop In Decades As Births Fall

China Records 1st Population Drop In Decades As Births Fall

Continue Reading

Trending