Connect with us


Russian Missile And Drone Attack In Ukraine Kills 23 People




UMAN, Ukraine – Russia launched more than 20 cruise missiles and two drones at Ukraine early Friday, killing at least 23 people, nearly all of whom were killed when two missiles slammed into an apartment block in a horrific nighttime strike, according to officials. Three of the victims were children.

The missile attacks included the first in nearly two months toward Kyiv, Ukraine’s capital. However, no targets were reported to have been damaged. According to the city authorities, Ukraine’s air force intercepted 11 cruise missiles and two unmanned aerial vehicles over Kyiv.

The strikes on the nine-story residential structure in central Ukraine occurred in Uman, some 215 kilometers (134 miles) south of Kyiv. According to Ukraine’s National Police, 21 persons were killed in the attack. There were two 10-year-olds and a toddler among them.

According to medical responders on the site, another victim was a 75-year-old woman who resided in the next building and suffered internal bleeding from the big blast’s shock wave.

According to Ukrainian national police, 17 individuals were injured, and three children were rescued from the rubble. Nine people were hospitalized.

The shelling was far from the war’s wide front lines or active battle zones in eastern Ukraine, where a grinding war of attrition has taken root. Throughout the 14-month conflict, Moscow has launched numerous long-range missile attacks, often indiscriminately targeting civilian areas.

According to Ukrainian officials and commentators, such strikes are part of the Kremlin’s planned intimidation tactic.

According to the Russian Defence Ministry, the long-range cruise missiles launched overnight were directed at locations where Ukrainian military reserve units stayed before being deployed to the battlefield.

“The strike achieved its objective. “All designated facilities have been hit,” Defence Ministry spokeswoman Lt. Gen. Igor Konashenkov stated. He made no mention of any specific places or residential buildings being targeted.


The missile attacks included the first in nearly two months toward Kyiv.

Survivors of the Uman strikes described harrowing moments when the missiles struck while it was still dark outside.

According to Halyna, a block resident, the blow covered her and her husband in glass. They fled when they noticed flames outside their window, but Halyna first checked to see if her buddy in a neighboring flat was okay.

“I kept calling her (on the phone), but she didn’t answer.” “I even rang the doorbell, but there was no answer,” she explained to The Associated Press. She walked inside to check on her friend, using the spare keys from her friend’s flat. She discovered her body on the floor of her flat.

Halyna declined to give her last name due to security concerns.

According to Olha Turina, another building occupant, glass from the explosion flew everywhere.

Turina, whose husband serves on the front lines, reported that one of her child’s classmates had gone missing.

“I don’t know where they are or if they are alive,” she explained. “I’m not sure why we have to go through this. Nobody ever bothered us.”

As smoke billowed for hours after the attack, three body bags lay beside the building. Soldiers, citizens and rescue personnel scoured the wreckage for more victims outside while homeowners retrieved possessions from the wrecked building.

One individual, crying in astonishment, was whisked away by rescue services for assistance.

Local volunteers were assisting nearly 150 emergency professionals, according to Yulia Norovkova, a spokeswoman for emergency rescue workers on the scene. She stated that two help stations, including psychologists, were open.

According to regional Governor Serhii Lysak, another attack killed a 31-year-old lady and her 2-year-old daughter in the eastern city of Dnipro. A private residence and a company were damaged, and four persons were injured.

The attacks occurred just days after President Volodymyr Zelenskyy stated that he and Chinese leader Xi Jinping had a “long and meaningful” phone chat during which Xi stated that his government would send a peace envoy to Ukraine and other countries.


The missile attacks included the first in nearly two months toward Kyiv.

Dmytro Kuleba, Ukraine’s Foreign Minister, said Friday’s bombardment attack demonstrated that the Kremlin is uninterested in a peace settlement.

“Missile strikes, including a 2-year-old child, killing innocent Ukrainians in their sleep, is Russia’s response to all peace initiatives,” he tweeted. “The only way to achieve peace is to kick Russia out of Ukraine.”

On a visit to Ukraine, Czech President Petr Pavel was an unconvinced attack by the Kremlin’s previous denials of responsibility for such atrocities.

“The number of attacks on civilian targets only leads to the conclusion that it is intentional,” Pavel told Czech media. “There is a clear plan to cause chaos and attack horror among the civilian population.”

Shortly after Moscow launched the assault, the Russian Defence Ministry shared a snapshot of a missile launch on Telegram with the caption, “Right on target.”

The post sparked fury on social media among Ukrainians and some officials, who saw it as gloating over the losses.

“The Russian Federation’s Ministry of Homicide is happy that it hit a residential building with a rocket and killed civilians,” said Andriy Yermak, the head of Ukraine’s presidential office.

In one neighborhood of Kyiv, pieces from intercepted missiles or drones damaged electricity lines and a road. There were no recorded casualties.

Debris from shot-down missiles or drones left holes in the walls of some apartment buildings in Ukraine, a town about 10 kilometers (6 miles) south of Kyiv, and a shattered pink pram in the street.

“It feels like this nightmare has been going on for two years, but I still can’t wake up,” Olena, 62, a local, said. She requested that her surname not be used because her kid lived in a sensitive military area.

Ukraine officials said last week that they had received American-made Patriot missiles, offering Kyiv a long-desired new defense against Russian airstrikes, but there was no news on whether the system was utilized on Friday.

According to the Kyiv City Administration, the city’s anti-aircraft system has been activated. The air raid sirens began around 4 a.m., and the alarm lasted about two hours.

The rocket attack on the capital was the first since March 9. Recently, air defenses have foiled Russian drone attacks.

According to Ukrainian Armed Forces Commander in Chief Valerii Zaluzhnyi, the missiles were fired from aircraft operating in the Caspian Sea region.

He said that Ukraine intercepted 21 of the 23 Kh-101 and Kh-555 cruise missiles launched, as well as two drones.

The fight stopped over the winter, turning into a war of attrition as each side shelled the other’s trenches from afar. Ukraine has been bolstering its mechanized brigades with armor supplied by its Western partners, who have also been training Ukrainian troops and delivering ammunition as Kyiv considers a counteroffensive.

Meanwhile, Alexei Kulemzin, the Moscow-appointed mayor of Russia-held Donetsk, said a Ukrainian missile killed seven civilians in the city center on Friday. He claimed the victims were killed when a minibus was hit.




Passenger Train Derails In India, Killing At Least 50, Trapping Many Others




NEW DELHI — At least 50 people were killed, and hundreds more were trapped inside more than a dozen damaged rail cars when two passenger trains in India crashed on Friday, according to officials.

According to officials, the disaster occurred in eastern India, around 220 kilometers (137 miles) southwest of Kolkata, and about 400 people were sent to hospitals. The cause was being looked into.

Amitabh Sharma, a spokesman for the railway ministry, reported that ten to twelve coaches of one train derailed, and pieces of some of the damaged coaches fell onto an adjacent track.

According to Sharma, a passenger train traveling the other way struck the debris, and up to three coaches of the second train also derailed.

According to the Press Trust of India news agency, a third goods train was reportedly apparently involved, but there was no immediate confirmation from railway authorities.

Television photos from the aftermath showed rescuers scaling the rubble to pry open doors and windows and use cutting torches to free trapped survivors.


A passenger train traveling the other way struck the debris, and up to three coaches of the second train also derailed.

Vandana Kaleda, a passenger, said to the New Delhi Television news station that she “found people falling on each other” as her carriage shook erratically and deviated from the lines. She claimed that her survival was fortuitous.

Another survivor, who wished to remain anonymous, claimed that the impact woke him up while he was asleep. He claimed to have observed other people with damaged faces and shattered limbs.

At least 50 persons were reported dead, according to Balasore district’s senior administrator Dattatraya Bhausaheb Shinde. At least 70 people had died, according to The Press Trust.

According to Pradeep Jena, the state’s chief executive officer of Odisha, there were close to 500 police officers and rescue personnel at the scene, along with 75 ambulances and buses.


Rescuers were working to release 200 individuals who were thought to be trapped in the rubble, according to Shinde.

The Coromandel Express, which derailed, was traveling from Howrah in West Bengal state to Chennai, the state capital of southern Tamil Nadu, according to The Press Trust.

Narendra Modi, the prime minister of India, expressed sympathy for the deceased families.

Having spoken with the railway minister, Modi tweeted, “May the injured recover soon,” adding that “all possible assistance” was being provided.

Several hundred incidents happen annually on India’s railways, the world’s largest train network with single management, despite government efforts to increase rail safety.

The deadliest train catastrophe in Indian history occurred in August 1995 when two trains crashed close to New Delhi, killing 358 people.

Human mistakes or out-of-date signaling equipment are the main causes of trains accidents.

Every day, 14,000 trains carrying more than 12 million passengers traverse India’s 64,000 kilometers (40,000 miles) of railway.


Continue Reading


Toyota Debuts Hydrogen-Fueled Corolla Race Car As Auto Racing Begins Shift Away From Gas In 2023




Japan’s Oyama — A little Corolla powered by liquid hydrogen debuted in a vast circuit close to Mount Fuji as part of an initiative to introduce cutting-edge technology into the racing scene and showed Toyota’s commitment to creating eco-friendly cars.

Akio Toyoda, chairman of Toyota, was beaming as he prepared to drive the hydrogen-fueled Corolla around the track while clad in a fire-resistant racing costume.

“Racing using a liquid hydrogen automobile is a first for the world. In the effort to combat global warming, we hope it will present an additional choice. I want to run one lap, even one second further, to make everyone happy, declared Toyoda, a former Toyota CEO, the company’s founder’s grandson, and a licensed racer himself.

It will be soon that the hydrogen-powered Corolla race vehicle appears at your dealer. According to Toyota representatives, the Super Taikyu 24-hour race at Fuji Speedway was only a test for the technology.

Unlike electric vehicles, it has a combustion engine, but it burns liquid hydrogen rather than petrol.

Toyota Motor Corp., a Japanese carmaker that sells roughly 10 million vehicles annually, has lagged in the global transition to battery-powered electric vehicles (EVs), but it has long viewed hydrogen as a potentially carbon-neutral alternative.

Experts claim that hydrogen has enormous potential. However, most hydrogen produced to date has been used using fossil fuels like natural gas, including the hydrogen used to power the Corolla racing vehicle.

The need for alternative energy sources has become more urgent due to rising fuel prices and worries about global warming, particularly in Japan, where nearly all of its oil is imported.

Auto racing has been eschewing its gas-guzzling, snarling machines. Honda Motor Co., a rival of Toyota, has said it would resume competing in Formula One, citing the opportunity presented by the new regulations for developing new technology. General Motors Co. and other automakers have made comparable commitments.


Akio Toyoda, chairman of Toyota, was beaming as he prepared to drive the hydrogen-fueled Corolla around the track while clad in a fire-resistant racing costume.

The 24 Hours of Le Mans, the most prestigious endurance race in the world, will be available to hydrogen-powered vehicles utilizing both fuel cells and combustion engines beginning in 2026, according to an announcement made last week by Pierre Fillon, president of the Automobile Club de l’Ouest, the organization that puts on Le Mans.

For me, hydrogen is a very intriguing future solution, Fillon told reporters. “To achieve zero emissions, we must move. This is crucial for the environment and our future generations.

Toyota CEO Koji Sato stated that he planned to announce Toyota’s involvement in Le Mans soon.

John Heywood, an MIT professor emeritus and authority on automobile engines, noted that the conversation about green energy solutions has barely begun and that EVs also have disadvantages, such as the requirement for crucial minerals that are sometimes obtained in unethical or environmentally harmful ways.

There is nothing ‘ungreen’ about internal combustion engines. The fuel it utilizes is what counts, according to Heywood.

The hydrogen for Toyota’s race car is produced at an Australian coal gasification facility and distributed by the Japanese energy business Iwatani Corp. as part of a project supported by the Japanese government to encourage the use of hydrogen for various sectors, including those using fossil fuels.

Green hydrogen is produced when water is electrolyzed to separate its hydrogen and oxygen molecules. This happens when renewable energy sources drive an electrical current through water. The technique does not result in greenhouse gas carbon dioxide. However, the IEA estimates that fewer than 0.1% of the hydrogen produced globally is now produced this way.

According to critics, it could be preferable to use that renewable energy instead of converting it to hydrogen. However, proponents of hydrogen claim that when carbon emissions are captured and stored underground, even those created from natural gas can be environmentally good.

Sato recognized the difficulty.

“First, we must establish a setting conducive to employing hydrogen. “It’s important that the cycle of that system is working in all steps, including transporting it and making it, for hydrogen use to become widely used, and that environment must be stable,” he told reporters on the sidelines of the race.


In addition to the credentials of hydrogen’s greenness, there are other problems.

On the Formula One Grand Prix and other events test run at the Suzuka circuit in March, a Toyota vehicle powered by liquid hydrogen caught fire.

A leak sensor that was correctly functioning stopped the hydrogen leak in less than a tenth of a second from a pipe that had become loose due to the vehicle’s vibrations. According to Toyota, nobody was harmed, the cabin was secured, and the fire was put out.

Toyota’s No. 32 Corolla, one of the dozens of vehicles competing in the 24-hour race at Fuji Speedway, was doomed to fall short. Refueling and pit checks—important to racing—took several minutes in a race where competitors are battling for seconds.

However, according to Tomoya Takahashi, president of Toyota’s Gazoo Racing Co., introducing liquid hydrogen into racing may be a modest step in the right direction.

“We’re constructing for the future in this. He argued that the internal combustion engine has potential and is not the only solution.



Continue Reading


2023: Decorated Australian War Veteran Unlawfully Killed Prisoners In Afghanistan




Melbourne — Australian Ben Roberts-Smith, the recipient of the Victoria Cross, claimed that the media falsely accused him, but a judge concluded on Thursday that he unlawfully killed captives and committed other war crimes in Afghanistan.

Roberts-Smith, a former Special Air Service Regiment corporal who is currently a media firm executive, is accused of committing a series of war crimes, according to publications published in 2018. Federal Court Justice Anthony Besanko determined that these articles were essentially factual.

Besanko concluded that Roberts-Smith, who received the Medal of Gallantry for his contributions during the Afghanistan War, had “broken the moral and legal rules of military engagement” and had dishonored Australia with his actions.

The decision, which came after a contentious trial that lasted 110 court hearing days and is estimated to have cost more than 25 million Australian dollars ($16 million) in legal bills, is viewed as a landmark victory for press freedom against Australia’s draconian defamation rules.

A machine gun was allegedly used by Roberts-Smith, a judge’s son, to shoot a detainee wearing a prosthetic leg in the rear in 2009 in a Taliban base in the province of Uruzgan known as Whisky 108. He retained the man’s prosthetic to use as a fun beer mug.

The man was one of two unarmed Afghans taken from a tunnel by Roberts-Smith’s patrol. To “blood the rookie,” Roberts-Smith forced a “newly deployed and inexperienced” soldier to murder the second, more seasoned warrior.


The decision came after a contentious trial that lasted 110 court hearing days and is estimated to have cost more than 25 million Australian dollars ($16 million) in legal bills.

In addition, it was established that in the Afghan hamlet of Darwan in 2012, Roberts-Smith kicked an unarmed, handcuffed farmer named Ali Jan off a cliff and into a riverbed before killing him. Then Roberts-Smith ordered one of his soldiers to shoot Jan to death.

Allegations that Roberts-Smith, who is 2.02 meters (6 feet, 7 inches) tall, intimidated soldiers and abused Afghan villagers were also proven genuine.

The judge determined that two of the six unlawful killings Roberts-Smith was alleged to have participated in were not proven by the civil court standard of the balance of probabilities.

Additionally, it was determined that the allegations of domestic violence against Roberts-Smith were false and defamatory. The judge concluded that the unfounded charges would not further harm the veteran’s reputation.

Such claims of war crimes would have required proof beyond a reasonable doubt if they had been made in a criminal court.

The 44-year-old Roberts-Smith has denied any misconduct. His attorneys attributed his termination to “corrosive jealousy” on the part of “bitter people” within the SAS who had waged a “poisonous campaign against him.”

Because of their stories, the Sydney Morning Herald, The Age, and The Canberra Times were accused of defaming each other in the civil lawsuit.

One of the journalists, Nick McKenzie, who wrote the divisive articles, commended the SAS veterans who had testified against the national hero.

The day of justice is today. It’s a day of justice for those courageous SAS members who came out and exposed Ben Roberts-Smith for the war criminal, bully, and liar that he is, McKenzie told reporters outside court.


The Australian Federal Police is investigating Roberts-Smith and other Australian military members for possible war crimes in Afghanistan.

“Those SAS members are a proud representation of Australia. The bulk of the SAS stood up for what was right, and their actions were rewarded, said McKenzie.

Arthur Moses, the attorney for Roberts-Smith, requested an additional 42 days to contemplate filing an appeal with the Federal Court’s Full Bench.

Billionaire Kerry Stokes, executive chair of Seven West Media, where Roberts-Smith works, has agreed to pay the case’s legal expenses.

Stokes’s statement in support of Roberts-Smith was, “The judgment does not accord with the man I know.”

Ben has always maintained his innocence, so I know this will be difficult for him, Stokes said.

Roberts-Smith had been there each day of his trial but did not show up in Sydney for the verdict. On Wednesday, media outlets published a picture of him relaxing by a pool in Bali, an Indonesian tourist destination.

The Australian Federal Police is investigating Roberts-Smith and other Australian military members for possible war crimes in Afghanistan.

The first criminal accusation about an alleged illegal killing in Afghanistan was brought in March. Oliver Schulz, a former SAS trooper, was accused of committing a war crime by killing an Afghan in a wheat field in Uruzgan province in 2012.


The Australian Federal Police is investigating Roberts-Smith and other Australian military members for possible war crimes in Afghanistan.

The decision was a “very disappointing day” for the elite unit, according to Martin Hamilton-Smith, chair of the Australian Special Air Service Association. He said that charges against more veterans should be brought immediately if they were tried for war crimes.

According to Hamilton-Smith, the only way to learn the real truth about this is to bring it before a criminal court, where both sides of the story may be presented, and the facts can be proven beyond a reasonable doubt.

When Roberts-Smith received the Victoria Cross in 2011, Australia’s highest honor for valor in the face of an enemy, he was elevated to a national hero. As a famous Australian, he had multiple meetings with Queen Elizabeth II.

He received the medal 2010 for taking out a machine gun nest at Tizak, Kandahar, during combat. Two machine gunners and an enemy preparing to throw a rocket grenade were killed thanks to Roberts-Smith. No allegations of war crimes related to that conflict.


Continue Reading

Recent News