Connect with us


Typhoon Mawar Lashes Guam As Category 4 Storm With Strong Winds, Rain




GUAM, HAGATNA — On Thursday, Typhoon Mawar passed over Guam as a powerful Category 4 storm, lashing the US Pacific island territory with heavy rain, powerful winds, and a dangerous storm surge and knocking out power to many communities where terrified residents hunkered down for the night in homes and shelters.

The center of the typhoon passed over the northern tip of Guam on Wednesday evening, according to the National Weather Service. It is the most powerful storm to strike the territory of more than 150,000 people in decades. According to the meteorological agency, the maximum sustained winds persisted at 140 mph (225 kph) late Wednesday and were expected to increase throughout Thursday.

Social media videos showed downed trees, a flipped pickup truck, solar panels flying into the air, pieces of a multistory hotel wall collapsing and exposing rebar, and storm surges and waves slamming through coastal reefs. The initial extent of the destruction was difficult to determine, with power and internet outages making a connection with the remote island difficult to impossible while the storm dug an excruciatingly slow path.

Late Wednesday, the storm was moving northwest at 8 mph (13 kph), with a minor increase in speed forecast over the next day. It has been a slow-moving typhoon compared to others in the vicinity, which have traveled at speeds ranging from 10 to 15 mph (16 to 25 kph), according to NWS Guam warning coordination meteorologist Landon Aydlett.

According to Landon Aydlett, long-term forecasts locate Mawar deep in the Philippine Sea, bending northward but remaining northeast of the Philippines. He believes the storm might attain super typhoon classification, with maximum sustained winds of 150 mph (241 kph) or higher.

The storm brushed the extreme northern tip of Guam, but it was otherwise in the canal between the island and its neighbor to the north, Rota, according to Landon Aydlett. Peak winds reached 105 mph (169 kph) at the weather service office in Guam, but the agency lost its wind sensors afterward, he said. According to him, the building trembled with a “constant, low rumbling,” and its doors and windows swayed.

“We have peak conditions for a couple more hours.” “I think thrashing is the word,” he stated over the phone. “At this point, there are trees everywhere.” Many people will be surprised when daylight returns tomorrow.”

The weather service reported that lightning became a greater hazard as the night progressed. On Thursday morning, a flash flood warning was issued.


The storm might attain super typhoon classification, with maximum sustained winds of 150 mph (241 kph) or higher.

Powerful winds ripped a granite countertop from a hotel’s outdoor bar in Tumon, on the island’s northeastern shore, and flung it four feet in the air. As windows buckled and creaked, guests tried to stack chairs against hotel doors that were being blasted in by the gusts.

The storm’s center made landfall on Guam at about 9 p.m. local time Wednesday, which was Wednesday morning in the continental United States. Guam is located west of the International Date Line, ahead of the United States mainland and Hawaii, which are located 3,800 miles (6,115 km) to the east. The Philippine capital, Manila, lies 1,600 miles (1,575 km) west.

A typhoon warning was also issued for Rota, an island in the United States Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands. Tropical storm warnings were issued for Tinian and Saipan in the Northern Marianas. Since Category 5 Super Typhoon Yutu hit in 2018, some individuals in those areas have been living in temporary shelters or tents.

The weather service warned of a highly dangerous and life-threatening condition in Guam, advising residents to seek shelter and stay there for the next few hours.

“This is going to be a long night.” “It’s going to be scary because there’s no electricity unless you have a generator,” Brandon Aydlett, the weather service’s scientific and operations officer and Landon Aydlett’s twin brother, said in a Facebook Live video. “Confidentially reassure your youngsters. It’s going to get a little terrifying as the night progresses. The sounds are audible: the winds are howling and objects are breaking. Simply being together and talking to each other will cause things to slow down towards midnight and continue until Thursday morning.”


He urged people to stay in shelters and get as much sleep as possible before “a long day tomorrow as we start the recovery process.”

By the afternoon, many settlements on the 212-square-mile (549-square-kilometer) island had lost power, and some to the south had lost water service. Forecasters anticipated up to 25 inches (64 centimeters) of rain and a life-threatening storm surge of 4 to 6 feet (1.2 to 2 meters), prompting a flash flood alert for the island.

Guam Gov. Lou Leon Guerrero advised coastal, low-lying, and flood-prone district residents to evacuate to higher ground ahead of the storm. Mount Lamlam in the southwest is the highest peak on the island, rising 1,334 feet (406 meters). However, much of Tamuning’s seaside tourism sector, where numerous resorts are located, is close to sea level.

Residents were picked up at island community centers and transported to 11 elementary schools converted into shelters. Village officials advised residents to secure loose objects in their yards and take shelter immediately. Some used a loudhailer to disseminate the word, while others used social media. As the rain and wind intensified, the power flickered intermittently, and officials estimated roughly 900 people were in shelters.

Guerrero stated that an emergency declaration granted by President Joe Biden will help mobilize resources to Guam, which is “especially critical given our distance from the continental United States.”

Reuel Drilon, a resident of low-lying Agat on the southern coast, said practically every home in the community has a mango tree, which officials warned might create obstacles and dangerous flying projectiles.

“A lot of folks are keeping their eyes on trees,” he remarked before the storm arrived.

Guam is a vital Pacific US military center, and the Pentagon controls roughly one-third of the island. Rear Adm. Benjamin Nicholson, commander of Joint Region Marianas, authorized the evacuation of defense personnel, dependents, and employees from affected regions.

The military said it put its ships out to sea as a precaution. It flew its planes off the island or parked them in secure hangars. Any surviving personnel on the island were taking cover. According to the Pentagon, around 6,800 US service troops are stationed in Guam.



Continue Reading


Passenger Train Derails In India, Killing At Least 50, Trapping Many Others




NEW DELHI — At least 50 people were killed, and hundreds more were trapped inside more than a dozen damaged rail cars when two passenger trains in India crashed on Friday, according to officials.

According to officials, the disaster occurred in eastern India, around 220 kilometers (137 miles) southwest of Kolkata, and about 400 people were sent to hospitals. The cause was being looked into.

Amitabh Sharma, a spokesman for the railway ministry, reported that ten to twelve coaches of one train derailed, and pieces of some of the damaged coaches fell onto an adjacent track.

According to Sharma, a passenger train traveling the other way struck the debris, and up to three coaches of the second train also derailed.

According to the Press Trust of India news agency, a third goods train was reportedly apparently involved, but there was no immediate confirmation from railway authorities.

Television photos from the aftermath showed rescuers scaling the rubble to pry open doors and windows and use cutting torches to free trapped survivors.


A passenger train traveling the other way struck the debris, and up to three coaches of the second train also derailed.

Vandana Kaleda, a passenger, said to the New Delhi Television news station that she “found people falling on each other” as her carriage shook erratically and deviated from the lines. She claimed that her survival was fortuitous.

Another survivor, who wished to remain anonymous, claimed that the impact woke him up while he was asleep. He claimed to have observed other people with damaged faces and shattered limbs.

At least 50 persons were reported dead, according to Balasore district’s senior administrator Dattatraya Bhausaheb Shinde. At least 70 people had died, according to The Press Trust.

According to Pradeep Jena, the state’s chief executive officer of Odisha, there were close to 500 police officers and rescue personnel at the scene, along with 75 ambulances and buses.


Rescuers were working to release 200 individuals who were thought to be trapped in the rubble, according to Shinde.

The Coromandel Express, which derailed, was traveling from Howrah in West Bengal state to Chennai, the state capital of southern Tamil Nadu, according to The Press Trust.

Narendra Modi, the prime minister of India, expressed sympathy for the deceased families.

Having spoken with the railway minister, Modi tweeted, “May the injured recover soon,” adding that “all possible assistance” was being provided.

Several hundred incidents happen annually on India’s railways, the world’s largest train network with single management, despite government efforts to increase rail safety.

The deadliest train catastrophe in Indian history occurred in August 1995 when two trains crashed close to New Delhi, killing 358 people.

Human mistakes or out-of-date signaling equipment are the main causes of trains accidents.

Every day, 14,000 trains carrying more than 12 million passengers traverse India’s 64,000 kilometers (40,000 miles) of railway.


Continue Reading


Toyota Debuts Hydrogen-Fueled Corolla Race Car As Auto Racing Begins Shift Away From Gas In 2023




Japan’s Oyama — A little Corolla powered by liquid hydrogen debuted in a vast circuit close to Mount Fuji as part of an initiative to introduce cutting-edge technology into the racing scene and showed Toyota’s commitment to creating eco-friendly cars.

Akio Toyoda, chairman of Toyota, was beaming as he prepared to drive the hydrogen-fueled Corolla around the track while clad in a fire-resistant racing costume.

“Racing using a liquid hydrogen automobile is a first for the world. In the effort to combat global warming, we hope it will present an additional choice. I want to run one lap, even one second further, to make everyone happy, declared Toyoda, a former Toyota CEO, the company’s founder’s grandson, and a licensed racer himself.

It will be soon that the hydrogen-powered Corolla race vehicle appears at your dealer. According to Toyota representatives, the Super Taikyu 24-hour race at Fuji Speedway was only a test for the technology.

Unlike electric vehicles, it has a combustion engine, but it burns liquid hydrogen rather than petrol.

Toyota Motor Corp., a Japanese carmaker that sells roughly 10 million vehicles annually, has lagged in the global transition to battery-powered electric vehicles (EVs), but it has long viewed hydrogen as a potentially carbon-neutral alternative.

Experts claim that hydrogen has enormous potential. However, most hydrogen produced to date has been used using fossil fuels like natural gas, including the hydrogen used to power the Corolla racing vehicle.

The need for alternative energy sources has become more urgent due to rising fuel prices and worries about global warming, particularly in Japan, where nearly all of its oil is imported.

Auto racing has been eschewing its gas-guzzling, snarling machines. Honda Motor Co., a rival of Toyota, has said it would resume competing in Formula One, citing the opportunity presented by the new regulations for developing new technology. General Motors Co. and other automakers have made comparable commitments.


Akio Toyoda, chairman of Toyota, was beaming as he prepared to drive the hydrogen-fueled Corolla around the track while clad in a fire-resistant racing costume.

The 24 Hours of Le Mans, the most prestigious endurance race in the world, will be available to hydrogen-powered vehicles utilizing both fuel cells and combustion engines beginning in 2026, according to an announcement made last week by Pierre Fillon, president of the Automobile Club de l’Ouest, the organization that puts on Le Mans.

For me, hydrogen is a very intriguing future solution, Fillon told reporters. “To achieve zero emissions, we must move. This is crucial for the environment and our future generations.

Toyota CEO Koji Sato stated that he planned to announce Toyota’s involvement in Le Mans soon.

John Heywood, an MIT professor emeritus and authority on automobile engines, noted that the conversation about green energy solutions has barely begun and that EVs also have disadvantages, such as the requirement for crucial minerals that are sometimes obtained in unethical or environmentally harmful ways.

There is nothing ‘ungreen’ about internal combustion engines. The fuel it utilizes is what counts, according to Heywood.

The hydrogen for Toyota’s race car is produced at an Australian coal gasification facility and distributed by the Japanese energy business Iwatani Corp. as part of a project supported by the Japanese government to encourage the use of hydrogen for various sectors, including those using fossil fuels.

Green hydrogen is produced when water is electrolyzed to separate its hydrogen and oxygen molecules. This happens when renewable energy sources drive an electrical current through water. The technique does not result in greenhouse gas carbon dioxide. However, the IEA estimates that fewer than 0.1% of the hydrogen produced globally is now produced this way.

According to critics, it could be preferable to use that renewable energy instead of converting it to hydrogen. However, proponents of hydrogen claim that when carbon emissions are captured and stored underground, even those created from natural gas can be environmentally good.

Sato recognized the difficulty.

“First, we must establish a setting conducive to employing hydrogen. “It’s important that the cycle of that system is working in all steps, including transporting it and making it, for hydrogen use to become widely used, and that environment must be stable,” he told reporters on the sidelines of the race.


In addition to the credentials of hydrogen’s greenness, there are other problems.

On the Formula One Grand Prix and other events test run at the Suzuka circuit in March, a Toyota vehicle powered by liquid hydrogen caught fire.

A leak sensor that was correctly functioning stopped the hydrogen leak in less than a tenth of a second from a pipe that had become loose due to the vehicle’s vibrations. According to Toyota, nobody was harmed, the cabin was secured, and the fire was put out.

Toyota’s No. 32 Corolla, one of the dozens of vehicles competing in the 24-hour race at Fuji Speedway, was doomed to fall short. Refueling and pit checks—important to racing—took several minutes in a race where competitors are battling for seconds.

However, according to Tomoya Takahashi, president of Toyota’s Gazoo Racing Co., introducing liquid hydrogen into racing may be a modest step in the right direction.

“We’re constructing for the future in this. He argued that the internal combustion engine has potential and is not the only solution.



Continue Reading


2023: Decorated Australian War Veteran Unlawfully Killed Prisoners In Afghanistan




Melbourne — Australian Ben Roberts-Smith, the recipient of the Victoria Cross, claimed that the media falsely accused him, but a judge concluded on Thursday that he unlawfully killed captives and committed other war crimes in Afghanistan.

Roberts-Smith, a former Special Air Service Regiment corporal who is currently a media firm executive, is accused of committing a series of war crimes, according to publications published in 2018. Federal Court Justice Anthony Besanko determined that these articles were essentially factual.

Besanko concluded that Roberts-Smith, who received the Medal of Gallantry for his contributions during the Afghanistan War, had “broken the moral and legal rules of military engagement” and had dishonored Australia with his actions.

The decision, which came after a contentious trial that lasted 110 court hearing days and is estimated to have cost more than 25 million Australian dollars ($16 million) in legal bills, is viewed as a landmark victory for press freedom against Australia’s draconian defamation rules.

A machine gun was allegedly used by Roberts-Smith, a judge’s son, to shoot a detainee wearing a prosthetic leg in the rear in 2009 in a Taliban base in the province of Uruzgan known as Whisky 108. He retained the man’s prosthetic to use as a fun beer mug.

The man was one of two unarmed Afghans taken from a tunnel by Roberts-Smith’s patrol. To “blood the rookie,” Roberts-Smith forced a “newly deployed and inexperienced” soldier to murder the second, more seasoned warrior.


The decision came after a contentious trial that lasted 110 court hearing days and is estimated to have cost more than 25 million Australian dollars ($16 million) in legal bills.

In addition, it was established that in the Afghan hamlet of Darwan in 2012, Roberts-Smith kicked an unarmed, handcuffed farmer named Ali Jan off a cliff and into a riverbed before killing him. Then Roberts-Smith ordered one of his soldiers to shoot Jan to death.

Allegations that Roberts-Smith, who is 2.02 meters (6 feet, 7 inches) tall, intimidated soldiers and abused Afghan villagers were also proven genuine.

The judge determined that two of the six unlawful killings Roberts-Smith was alleged to have participated in were not proven by the civil court standard of the balance of probabilities.

Additionally, it was determined that the allegations of domestic violence against Roberts-Smith were false and defamatory. The judge concluded that the unfounded charges would not further harm the veteran’s reputation.

Such claims of war crimes would have required proof beyond a reasonable doubt if they had been made in a criminal court.

The 44-year-old Roberts-Smith has denied any misconduct. His attorneys attributed his termination to “corrosive jealousy” on the part of “bitter people” within the SAS who had waged a “poisonous campaign against him.”

Because of their stories, the Sydney Morning Herald, The Age, and The Canberra Times were accused of defaming each other in the civil lawsuit.

One of the journalists, Nick McKenzie, who wrote the divisive articles, commended the SAS veterans who had testified against the national hero.

The day of justice is today. It’s a day of justice for those courageous SAS members who came out and exposed Ben Roberts-Smith for the war criminal, bully, and liar that he is, McKenzie told reporters outside court.


The Australian Federal Police is investigating Roberts-Smith and other Australian military members for possible war crimes in Afghanistan.

“Those SAS members are a proud representation of Australia. The bulk of the SAS stood up for what was right, and their actions were rewarded, said McKenzie.

Arthur Moses, the attorney for Roberts-Smith, requested an additional 42 days to contemplate filing an appeal with the Federal Court’s Full Bench.

Billionaire Kerry Stokes, executive chair of Seven West Media, where Roberts-Smith works, has agreed to pay the case’s legal expenses.

Stokes’s statement in support of Roberts-Smith was, “The judgment does not accord with the man I know.”

Ben has always maintained his innocence, so I know this will be difficult for him, Stokes said.

Roberts-Smith had been there each day of his trial but did not show up in Sydney for the verdict. On Wednesday, media outlets published a picture of him relaxing by a pool in Bali, an Indonesian tourist destination.

The Australian Federal Police is investigating Roberts-Smith and other Australian military members for possible war crimes in Afghanistan.

The first criminal accusation about an alleged illegal killing in Afghanistan was brought in March. Oliver Schulz, a former SAS trooper, was accused of committing a war crime by killing an Afghan in a wheat field in Uruzgan province in 2012.


The Australian Federal Police is investigating Roberts-Smith and other Australian military members for possible war crimes in Afghanistan.

The decision was a “very disappointing day” for the elite unit, according to Martin Hamilton-Smith, chair of the Australian Special Air Service Association. He said that charges against more veterans should be brought immediately if they were tried for war crimes.

According to Hamilton-Smith, the only way to learn the real truth about this is to bring it before a criminal court, where both sides of the story may be presented, and the facts can be proven beyond a reasonable doubt.

When Roberts-Smith received the Victoria Cross in 2011, Australia’s highest honor for valor in the face of an enemy, he was elevated to a national hero. As a famous Australian, he had multiple meetings with Queen Elizabeth II.

He received the medal 2010 for taking out a machine gun nest at Tizak, Kandahar, during combat. Two machine gunners and an enemy preparing to throw a rocket grenade were killed thanks to Roberts-Smith. No allegations of war crimes related to that conflict.


Continue Reading

Recent News