Connect with us

World

UAE names oil company chief to lead UN climate talks COP28

Published

on

UAE

“Sultan al-Jaber has the credentials and background to lean into existing trends,” said Ryan Bohl, a Mideast analyst with the RANE Network, a risk-intelligence organization. “As an oilman, I don’t think that will be a major danger for him.”

Al-Jaber, a long-time climate envoy who is 49 years old, is in favor of “a pragmatic, practical, and solutions-oriented approach” to keep global warming to 1.5 degrees Celsius (2.7 degrees Fahrenheit) by 2050, according to the Emirates’ state-run WAM. According to scientists, this restriction can avoid or at least mitigate some of the most devastating future climate change effects.

However, Al-nomination Jaber’s was met with swift condemnation. According to Harjeet Singh, the head of Global Political Strategy at Climate Action Network International, al-position Jaber’s as CEO of an oil corporation presents an “unusual and worrisome conflict of interest.”

“Polluters have no place in a climate conference, let alone presiding over a COP,” Singh remarked.

UAE

UAE Has More Climate Talks

“You wouldn’t ask arms merchants to conduct peace talks,” said Alice Harrison of Global Witness. So, why should oil execs be in charge of climate talks?” Greenpeace expressed “grave concern” about al-appointment, Jaber’s saying it “sets a hazardous precedent, jeopardizing the UAE’s reputation and the faith that has been placed in them.”

Each year, the country hosting the United Nations deliberations known as the Conference of the Parties — from which the acronym COP is derived — chooses a chairperson. Because the talks can be extremely difficult to direct between rival states and their interests, the hosts usually choose a senior diplomat. Delegates normally confirm the nominee’s position as “COP president” without opposition before the commencement of the negotiations.

When asked if Secretary-General Antonio Guterres thinks someone linked with fossil fuels should lead COP28, U.N. spokesperson Stephane Dujarric said the U.N. had “absolutely no participation” in the selection.

“Having said that, the evidence is crystal clear: We are losing the battle to mitigate the worst effects of the climate disaster,” Dujarric added. “The secretary-general reiterates that there is no way to avoid such a climatic disaster unless we abandon our reliance on fossil fuels.”

UAE

Foreign Minister Chastised

The caliber of COP presidents has shifted over time. Most people thought that Alok Sharma of the United Kingdom was energetic and driven to reach a high goal.

Egypt’s Foreign Minister, Sameh Shoukry, on the other hand, was chastised by some for the chaotic and, at times, the opaque manner in which he presided over the meeting last year.

During the summit in the Egyptian resort of Sharm el-Sheikh, which Shoukry oversaw, a call by countries such as India and the United States for a phase-down of oil and natural gas, for example, was not discussed publicly.

Activists are concerned that the COP being held in a Mideast country relying on fossil fuel sales for the second year in a row may result in something similar happening in the Emirates.

According to WAM, the UAE has spent “more than $50 billion in renewable energy projects across 70 nations, with oil intentions to invest at least $50 billion over the next decade.”

UAE

30 Billion Invested In Renewable Energy

Masdar announced Friday that it had invested or committed $30 billion in renewable energy projects and oil. According to the New York-based research firm Global SWF, Mubadala,  UAE Abu Dhabi’s sovereign wealth fund, has invested $3.9 billion in renewable energy since 2018.

According to Global SWF, Mubadala invested $9.8 billion in oil and gas projects during the same period.

The UAE is home to a major solar park in Dubai and the Arabian Peninsula’s only atomic energy source, the Barakah Nuclear Power Plant. But it takes a lot of energy to run the desalination plants that bring green golf courses to the desert areas, the air conditioners that keep the huge malls cool in the summer, and heavy industries like aluminum smelters.

The UAE’s renewable energy policy expanded in the mid-2000s when its real-estate boom saw it build its tallest and enormous, palm-shaped archipelagos off its coast. At the time, the World Wildlife Fund said that each person in the UAE had the largest ecological footprint per capita in the world. This meant that on average, each person in the UAE used more resources than people in any other country. The UAE continues to rank highly on comparable lists.

UAE

UAE Says Lessons Were Learned

The Masdar City project arose from this fear of becoming tarnished before being scaled back.

“We had access to lessons learned that no one else had because we did it and invested money,” al-Jaber told The Associated Press in 2010. “We must learn, change, adapt, and progress. We can’t be too strict.”

The UAE then transformed Masdar City into a campus that today houses the United Nations International Renewable Energy Agency and the enterprise itself, which is investing in renewables both at home and abroad. In 2016, before leaving office as America’s vice president, Joe Biden visited Masdar City.

Analysts say that the Emirates is trying to make as much money as possible before the world moves toward renewable energy. The UAE has committed to be carbon neutral by 2050, a challenging aim to analyze and one that authorities still need to clearly define how they’ll achieve.

The UAE “has made no bones about being a significant oil and gas producer, and presumably, he is extremely well linked to the country’s leadership,” according to Alden Meyer of the environmental think group E3G. “I hope (al-Jaber) has strong diplomatic and negotiation abilities and the capacity to reach consensus and compromise.”

COP28 will be hosted at Dubai’s Expo City from November 30 to December 12.

SOURCE – (AP)

 

Kiara Grace is a staff writer at VORNews, a reputable online publication. Her writing focuses on technology trends, particularly in the realm of consumer electronics and software. With a keen eye for detail and a knack for breaking down complex topics, Kiara delivers insightful analyses that resonate with tech enthusiasts and casual readers alike. Her articles strike a balance between in-depth coverage and accessibility, making them a go-to resource for anyone seeking to stay informed about the latest innovations shaping our digital world.

Continue Reading

World

‘Run, Run, Run’: Chaos At A Sydney Mall As 6 People Stabbed To Death, And The Suspect Fatally Shot

Published

on

sydney

Sydney — A guy stabbed six people to death at a major Sydney shopping mall Saturday before being fatally shot, according to police, with hundreds fleeing the chaotic scene, many of whom were weeping while carrying their children. Eight individuals were hurt, including a nine-month-old.

The 40-year-old was stopped in the knife assault at the Westfield Shopping Centre in Bondi Junction, in the city’s eastern suburbs, by a police inspector who shot him after he turned and lifted a knife, according to New South Wales Assistant Police Commissioner Anthony Cooke.

sydney

‘Run, Run, Run’: Chaos At A Sydney Mall As 6 People Stabbed To Death, And The Suspect Fatally Shot

“They just said run, run, run—someone’s been stabbed,” one witness told ABC TV in Australia. “(The attacker) was walking casually, as if enjoying an ice cream in a park. And then he went up the escalators… and within about a minute, we heard three gunshots.

The suspect, as well as six of the victims (five women and one guy), died. Commissioner Karen Webb stated that the eight injured people were treated in hospitals. The infant was in surgery, but it was too early to determine his condition, she said.

“We are confident that there is no ongoing risk, and we are dealing with one person who is now deceased,” Webb said in a later briefing. She continued, “It’s not a terrorism incident.”

She stated that authorities would not name the individual yet and were still investigating his motivation.

Cooke stated that a “lengthy and precise” examination had barely begun.

Some observers were astounded by the unusual surge of violence. In 1996, a man killed 35 people and wounded 23 others in Tasmania, prompting Australia to pass tough gun prohibitions.

sydney

‘Run, Run, Run’: Chaos At A Sydney Mall As 6 People Stabbed To Death, And The Suspect Fatally Shot

Cooke stated that the police inspector, a senior officer, addressed the suspect alone and engaged him shortly after arriving on the scene, “saving a range of people’s lives.”

The cop “displayed enormous courage and bravery,” Webb stated.

“If she didn’t shoot, he would have kept going, and I don’t know how many more he would have done,” another witness told 7News of the police inspector.

Many ambulances and police cars were seen near the shopping complex, and individuals were flowing out, many carrying youngsters.

Paramedics were treating victims on the spot.

Roi Huberman, a sound engineer at ABC TV in Australia, told the network that he took shelter in a store during the event.

“And suddenly we heard a shot or maybe two shots, and we didn’t know what to do,” he recalled. Then, the highly capable person at the store led us to the back, where it could be locked. She then shut the store, let us through the back, and we’re now out.”

sydney

‘Run, Run, Run’: Chaos At A Sydney Mall As 6 People Stabbed To Death, And The Suspect Fatally Shot

The most senior members of the British royal family, who are also Australian royals, voiced shock and sadness following the stabbings.

King Charles III and his wife Queen Camilla were “utterly shocked and horrified” by the “senseless attack” in Sydney and expressed their “hearts go out to the families and loved ones of those who have been so brutally killed.” The king’s eldest son, Prince William, and his wife, Catherine, Princess of Wales, said they were also “shocked and saddened” and their sympathies with those impacted and the “heroic emergency responders who risked their own lives to save others.”

SOURCE – (AP)

Continue Reading

Health

Germans Celebrate As Recreational Cannabis Use Becomes Legal

Published

on

cannabis

Crowds gathered in Germany overnight to celebrate the legalization of cannabis, which begins on Monday.

There was music and dancing at the Brandenburg Gate in central Berlin as many waved placards and blew smoke into the air.

germany cannabis

Germans Celebrate As Recreational Cannabis Use Becomes Legal

One guy was seen cycling through the crowd, carrying a big cannabis leaf artwork on a trailer behind their bike, while another ceremoniously rolled a joint in front of news cameras.

Following a contentious national discussion about the benefits and drawbacks of making cannabis more accessible, Germany’s lower house of parliament decided last month to legalize it for restricted recreational use.

Karl Lauterbach, the health minister, praised the move in an X post on Monday.

“Weed use was already present yesterday, but it is increasing. “Now it’s out of the taboo zone,” he wrote.

“This is better for real addiction help, prevention for children and young people and for combating the black market, for which there will soon be an alternative.”

The new restrictions allow adults to carry tiny amounts for personal use, but the substance remains illegal for people under 18.

cannabis

Germans Celebrate As Recreational Cannabis Use Becomes Legal

Under new regulations proposed by Germany’s ruling coalition party, adults can cultivate up to three plants for private use. Beginning April 1, the limit is 50g at home and 25g in public.

From July 1, cannabis will be offered in approved not-for-profit clubs with no more than 500 members, all of whom must be adults. Only club members would be able to consume their output.

The German government stated that cannabis would remain illegal for kids and severely restricted for young adults and that consuming the substance near schools and playgrounds would be prohibited.

Germany becomes the third country in Europe to legalize cannabis for recreational use, following Malta and Luxembourg, and removes it from the official list of illegal narcotics.

cannabis

Germans Celebrate As Recreational Cannabis Use Becomes Legal

The Netherlands prohibits drug possession, but some towns allow them to be sold at coffee shops as part of its so-called toleration policy.

Other countries, such as Australia and the United States, have differing local restrictions.

SOURCE – (CNN)

Continue Reading

World

Iranian Official Warns Israel That Its Embassies Are Not Safe After Deadly Damascus Strike

Published

on

israel Damascus

JERUSALEM — A top Iranian military adviser warned Israel on Sunday that none of its embassies were secure following last week’s strike in Damascus, which killed two elite Iranian generals. As Israel’s battle against Hamas enters its sixth month, regional tensions threaten to plunge the Middle East into a larger confrontation.

The statements of Gen. Rahim Safavi, a military adviser to Iran’s supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, suggested that the attack on a diplomatic mission would be met with a similar response. They have not explicitly admitted its involvement.

“None of the (Israeli) regime’s embassies are safe anymore,” Safavi told the semi-official Tasnim news agency. He spoke at a ceremony in Tehran honoring the generals slain in the strike that destroyed an Iranian consulate building.

israel

Iranian Official Warns Israel That Its Embassies Are Not Safe After Deadly Damascus Strike

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu stated that the country was prepared for any response. “Whoever harms us or plans to harm us, we will harm them,” he warned a Cabinet gathering.

The regional tensions erupted six months into the war, which began when Hamas-led militants infiltrated from Gaza into the country, killing 1,200 people, the majority of whom were civilians, and kidnapping approximately 250 others. They replied with a severe bombardment and ground offensive that killed over 33,000 Palestinians, most of whom were women and children, according to local health authorities.

Also on Sunday, the military stated that it was withdrawing forces from the 98th Paratroopers Division, which had been operating in the Khan Younis area of southern Gaza, lowering Israeli troop levels in Gaza to some of their lowest since the conflict began. The Hamas stronghold has been the primary target of Israel’s offensive in recent months.

The forces retreated to rest and prepare for future operations, but a considerable number remain in Gaza, according to military sources who spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak to the media.

The country keeps troops in damaged northern Gaza and can send them south as needed. Israel has declared a ground offensive against Rafah, the southernmost Gaza city and Hamas’ last stronghold. However, the area houses around 1.4 million people, representing more than half of Gaza’s population. The threat of an offensive has sparked global concern, particularly from key partners, the United States, which has demanded a credible strategy to protect civilians.

The six-month mark of the war has been met with growing discontent in Israel, where anti-government protests have erupted, and resentment is rising over what some Israelis regard as the government’s failure to assist in rescuing the remaining around 130 hostages, about a fifth of whom claims are dead.

Negotiations for a cease-fire in exchange for the hostages’ release will likely restart in Cairo on Sunday. An Israeli delegation led by the head of the Mossad intelligence agency was scheduled to leave for Cairo, according to an Israeli official who spoke anonymously because they were not authorized to discuss the topic with the press.

israel Damascus

Iranian Official Warns Israel That Its Embassies Are Not Safe After Deadly Damascus Strike

“Israel is prepared for a deal; Israel is not prepared to surrender,” Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu stated. “Instead of the international pressure being directed at Israel, which is only causing Hamas to harden its positions, the pressure of the international community needs to be directed at Hamas.”

The pressure to act has increased.

“This does not appear to be a war against terrorism. This no longer appears to be a war fought to defend Israel. Chef Jose Andres told ABC that this appears to be a battle on humanity itself, just days after an Israeli bombardment murdered seven of his World Central Kitchen colleagues in Gaza. Aid deliveries along a critical new sea route to the area were halted.

The United Nations and its allies have warned of “imminent famine” for more than 1 million people in Gaza, as humanitarian workers ask the country to ease restrictions on assistance delivery overland, the only option to meet rising demands as some Palestinians scavenge for weeds to eat.

Mothers who have given birth in Gaza since the conflict started are particularly susceptible.

According to the Gaza Health Ministry, the bodies of 38 persons killed in Israel’s shelling have been transferred to the territory’s remaining functional hospitals during the last 24 hours. According to reports, 71 people were injured and sent to hospitals.

isarel

Iranian Official Warns Israel That Its Embassies Are Not Safe After Deadly Damascus Strike

The ministry reported that 33,175 people had been murdered since the war began. The ministry does not distinguish between civilians and combatants but claims two-thirds of those killed are children and women. A further 75,886 people have been wounded.

Israel’s military continues to suffer fatalities, particularly in Khan Younis, where four troops were killed in combat with extremists.

According to Israel’s administration, more than 600 Israeli soldiers have been killed since October 7, with 260 killed in the Gaza ground operation.

source – ap

Continue Reading

Trending