Connect with us


Bobby Caldwell, R&B Singer Songwriter Dies at Age 71

Avatar for VORNews



Bobby Caldwell dies

Bobby Caldwell, a soulful R&B singer and songwriter who had a major hit with “What You Won’t Do for Love” in 1978 and a voice and musical style adored by generations of his peers, died Wednesday, his wife announced.

According to Mary Caldwell, he died in her arms on Tuesday at their home in Great Meadows, New Jersey, after a long illness. He was 71.

“What You Won’t Do for Love” peaked at No. 9 on the Billboard Hot 100 and No. 6 on what was then known as the Hot Selling Soul Singles chart. Caldwell’s song, which he also wrote, became a long-term standard and a career-defining hit.

Tupac Shakur sampled the song on his posthumously released song “Do For Love,” which artists such as Boyz II Men and Michael Bolton covered.

Hip-hop artists like The Notorious B.I.G., Common, Lil Nas X, and Chance the Rapper have sampled other Caldwell songs.

There are numerous stories, many of which were shared on social media after his death, of listeners being surprised to learn that Caldwell was white rather than black.

On his self-titled debut solo album, Booby Caldwell appeared only in silhouette, on which “What You Won’t Do for Love” appears.

Bobby Caldwell

“Bobby Caldwell was the final chapter in a generation where record executives wanted to hide faces on the album covers so maybe their artist could have a chance,” Questlove wrote on Instagram.

“Thank you for your voice and gift, #BobbyCaldwell,” Questlove wrote on Instagram.

Chance the Rapper posted a screenshot of a direct message exchange with Caldwell last year when he asked to use his music on Instagram.

“If you sample my song, I’ll be honored,” Bobby Caldwell wrote.

“You’re an inspiration to me and many others,” Chance said. In the post, he stated that he had never been thanked for sampling a song before and that he had “not felt broken like this at the passing of a stranger in so long.”

Bobby Caldwell was born in New York and raised in Miami, the son of singers who hosted a musical variety TV show called “Suppertime.” He began performing professionally as a multi-instrumentalist at 17 and started playing guitar in Little Richard’s band in the early 1970s. Bobby Caldwell played in various Los Angeles bar bands in the mid-1970s before landing a solo record deal.

Caldwell never had a hit like “What You Won’t Do for Love,” but he did release several respected albums, including 1980’s “Cat in The Hat” — on which he appeared prominently on the cover wearing a fedora — and 1982’s “Carry On,” on which he was his producer and played all the instruments.

His “Cat in the Hat” song “Open Your Eyes” was covered by John Legend and sampled by Common on his Grammy-nominated 2000 single “The Light.”

Caldwell shifted to recording and performing American standards in the 1990s, including songs made popular by Frank Sinatra and Nat King Cole that he grew up listening to.

Bobby Caldwell is survived by his wife of 19 years, Mary, and daughters Lauren, Tessa, and stepdaughter, Katie.

Continue Reading


Taylor Swift Watches Travis Kelce’s Chiefs Take On The Jets At MetLife Stadium

Avatar for Kiara Grace



VOR News

EAST RUTHERFORD, New Jersey — Taylor Swift could not pass up another opportunity to observe Travis Kelce play football.

The 12-time Grammy Award winner arrived at MetLife Stadium approximately forty minutes before Sunday night’s kickoff to witness Travis and his Kansas City Chiefs defeat the New York Jets 23-20.

Swift, wearing blue jean shorts, a black long-sleeved top, and a leather jacket, entered the stadium’s security area with actors Ryan Reynolds, Blake Lively, and Hugh Jackman, as captured by SNY. NBC’s broadcast cut to Swift multiple times during the game, including a shot of the pop star with her arm around Donna Kelce, who was donning her son’s No. 87 jersey.

Swift’s appearance comes a week after she attended Arrowhead Stadium, dressed in red and white, to witness the Chiefs’ 41-10 home victory over the Chicago Bears with Donna Kelce. Swift accepted the All-Pro tight end’s invitation to observe the game and had to see more of Travis and the Chiefs in action.

Taylor Swift is on a break from her Eras Tour, which resumes on November 9 in Buenos Aires, Argentina. Travis acknowledges Swift’s daring appearance at the Chiefs game but remains tight-lipped about their relationship. Twenty minutes before commencement, NBC aired a tour advertisement.


Taylor Swift could not pass up another opportunity to observe Travis Kelce play football.

Swift is familiar with MetLife Stadium, having performed three sold-out concerts there in May. Two of those performances were attended by Jets quarterback Aaron Rodgers, who returned to the team this past weekend after tearing his left Achilles tendon on the fourth play of his September 11 debut.

Rodgers attended a squad meeting on Saturday evening and was at the stadium to observe player warmups on Sunday evening.

Swift and Kelce have not disclosed details about their relationship. Kelce stated on his podcast “New Heights with Jason and Travis Kelce” earlier this week that Swift “looked amazing” at the contest.

Regarding her time spent in the suite, Kelce stated, “Everyone was speaking positively about her.” “Moreover, the day proceeded flawlessly for Chiefs fans. Naturally, we plan everything, ladies and gentlemen.”

Kelce invited Swift to that game after failing to present her a friendship bracelet during the Kansas City stop of her Eras Tour.


Continue Reading


U2 Concert Uses Stunning Visuals To Open Massive Sphere Venue In Las Vegas

Avatar for Kiara Grace




LAS VEGAS – It appeared to be a typical U2 outdoor concert: two helicopters flew through a starry sky before producing spotlights over the Las Vegas desert and Bono, who kneeled on the ground while singing the band’s 2004 hit “Vertigo.”


This scene may appear normal, but the visuals were created using floor-to-ceiling graphics within the immersive Sphere. It was one of several impressive instances during U2’s “UV Achtung Baby” residency launch show at the globe-shaped, high-tech venue, which debuted Friday night.


It appeared to be a typical U2 outdoor concert: two helicopters flew through a starry sky before producing spotlights over the Las Vegas desert

The legendary rock band, which has won 22 Grammys, performed for two hours inside the enormous, state-of-the-art, spherical venue with crystal-clear audio. Throughout the evening, various captivating visuals, including kaleidoscopic images, a burning flag, and the Las Vegas skyline, transported more than 18,000 concertgoers on U2’s epic musical voyage.

Bono, joined onstage by guitarists The Edge and Adam Clayton and percussionist Bram van den Berg, exclaimed, “What a swanky flat!” Then, he gazed at the high-resolution LED display that projected a larger image of himself, along with a few praying hands and bells.


Continue Reading


Inside The Night That Tupac Shakur Was Shot, And What Led Up To The Fatal Gunfire

Avatar for Kiara Grace




LAS VEGAS — Duane “Keffe D” Davis, one of the last surviving witnesses to the Las Vegas drive-by shooting of the hip-hop superstar Tupac Shakur in 1996, was indicted for murder on Friday, marking the first arrest in Shakur’s death. Here’s a glimpse at the hours that led up to the fatal gunfire.

Shakur and Suge Knight, the head of his record label, Death Row Records, arrived in Las Vegas on September 7, 1996, with an entourage that included Shakur’s fiancee, Kidada Jones, as well as his cousins and friends, to watch a heavyweight title fight between Mike Tyson and Bruce Seldon.

Shakur and Knight took their seats in the front row at the MGM Grand Garden Arena around 8:30 p.m.

Shortly after that, the brawl broke out. Less than two minutes later, Tyson knocked out Seldon in the first round to claim the WBA Heavyweight championship.



Shakur and Tyson, who were friends, embraced in joy just off the arena floor at approximately 8:40 p.m., shortly after the fight concluded.

Shakur, Knight, and their entourage engaged in a brawl at 8:50 p.m. in the hotel and casino area just outside the arena with a group that included Davis and his nephew Orlando “Baby Lane” Anderson, with whom Shakur had previously clashed. Las Vegas police stated that Davis and Anderson were members of the Southern California-based gang South Side Compton Crips, rivals of the Knight’s Blood-affiliated Mob Piru.

Police say surveillance footage shows Shakur and Knight striking and kicking Anderson near a lift bank.

Anderson, who was slain in a 1998 gang shooting unrelated to Tupac’s death, was long suspected of being responsible for his death.


Shakur, Knight, and their entourage departed the MGM Grand shortly before 9 p.m.

From approximately 9 p.m. to 11 p.m., the precise timeline of Shakur’s night is still being determined, but he was eventually obligated, along with Tyson and Knight, to make a late appearance at Club 662, which Knight owned. Before proceeding to Knight’s Las Vegas home, the Death Row entourage left the MGM Grand and stopped at the adjacent Luxor Hotel and Casino, where Jones was staying.

Police alleged at a news conference on Friday that Davis would spend this time acquiring a weapon to use in retaliation for the casino brawl.



Shakur was a passenger in Knight’s black BMW when it was stopped by police near the Las Vegas Strip at approximately 11 p.m. for playing music too loudly and not properly displaying license plates. Shakur and Knight joked with the officers the license plates were discovered in the trunk and were not cited.

The BMW stopped at the intersection of Flamingo Road and Koval Lane, a block from the Strip, at 11:15 p.m.

“We were on our way to Club 662,” Malcolm Greenidge, a lifelong friend of Tupac Shakur who traveled to Las Vegas with him and was traveling in a car behind the BMW, testified to the grand jury that indicted Davis. “Several women approached from the passenger side. Mr. Shakur started conversing with the women. We were unable to hear what he was saying. We believed he was most likely summoning them to the club.”

A white Cadillac approached stealthily. Davis has stated in interviews and his 2019 autobiography that he was one of the males in the automobile. According to a press conference held by police on Friday, he was sitting in the passenger seat and passed the gun he had obtained to one of the men in the rear.

Greenidge told the grand jury, “After the women left, another car pulled up alongside Mr. Shakur and Mr. Knight, and an arm emerged from the back window and began firing.”

The gunman discharged over a dozen rounds. Two of the four bullets struck Shakur in the torso. A bullet fragment grazed Knight in the temple, but he sustained only minor injuries. Knight is currently serving a 28-year manslaughter sentence in an unrelated California case.

Shakur was transported to University Medical Centre at 11:20 p.m. after police and paramedics arrived.

Shakur would have a lung removed and remain on a respirator in intensive care in the following days. Six days later, on September 13, he perished. He was 25 years old.


Continue Reading

Recent News