Connect with us

Entertainment

‘Dungeons & Dragons’ Opens With $38.5M, Takes Down John Wick

Published

on

Dungeons & Dragons

NEW YORK — Riding strong word-of-mouth and positive reviews, the role-playing game adaptation “Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves” opened with $38.5 million in U.S. and Canadian theatres over the weekend, according to studio estimates Sunday, displacing “John Wick: Chapter 4.”

The Paramount Pictures and eOne release drew a larger audience than many anticipated for a film based on a famous niche tabletop game. With a cast that includes Chris Pine, Michelle Rodriguez, Regé-Jean Page, and Hugh Grant, “Game Night” directors Jonathan Goldstein and John Francis Daley turned in a rollicking comic action-adventure that’s bringing in ticket buyers who aren’t familiar with “D&D.” Audiences gave “Honor Among Thieves,” which debuted with a raucous opening-night premiere at SXSW, an A- CinemaScore. Rotten Tomatoes gave it a good rating of 91%.

“We know how good our film is,” said Chris Aronson, Paramount’s distribution chief. “I know it’s been said before, but I believe the opening price of $38-39 million is just the beginning.” These kinds of exit surveys indicate playability.”

“Dungeons & Dragons” was also a huge gamble. The film cost $150 million to create and was co-produced and co-financed by Paramount and eOne, which Hasbro owns. With that kind of production cost, “Dungeons & Dragons” will be hoping for consistent sales through April and similar success overseas to kickstart a new franchise. It made its foreign debut with $33 million.

dungeons & dragons

“Dungeons & Dragons” was also a huge gamble.

“The challenge with this film is convincing everyone that it’s for you,” Aronson said. “Jonathan and John are extremely gifted and excellent collaborators. We’ll be doing more with them. Hopefully, this is the beginning of a series.”

“John Wick: Chapter 4,” which debuted last weekend with a franchise-high $73.5 million, fell to second place with $28.2 million in its second weekend. Despite a significant drop, the assassin action picture starring Keanu Reeves has already grossed $122.8 million domestically and $245 million worldwide after adding another $35 million internationally over the weekend. Lionsgate has ambitious intentions for the franchise’s future growth.

Along with “John Wick: Chapter 4,” “Creed III,” and “Scream VI,” “Dungeons & Dragons” joins a lengthy list of March releases that have outperformed box office expectations and performed well with audiences. “The Super Mario Bros. “Movie” is expected to resume next weekend.

“While it may not be the highest-grossing March in history, it is one of the best March months in the industry’s history, coming off three years of a pandemic-challenged marketplace,” said Paul Dergarabedian, senior media analyst for data company Comscore. “March isn’t summer, but it sure feels like it, with hit after hit.”

According to Franchise Entertainment Research’s David A. Gross, these films have helped drive the 2023 box office well ahead of last year’s pace, up 28.7%. Still, ticket purchases are 28.8% lower than the 2017-2019 average, indicating they need to return to pre-pandemic levels.

dungeons & Dragons

This year, “Dungeons & Dragons” will be followed by Greta Gerwig’s “Barbie” and a new “Transformers” film.

Games and toys are also proving to be reliable options for big-screen viewing. This year, “Dungeons & Dragons” will be followed by Greta Gerwig’s “Barbie” and a new “Transformers” film. “Super Mario Bros.” “The Movie” is anticipated to continue the upward trend of the previously derided video game adaptation.

There was little competition from fresh releases for “Dungeons & Dragons.” “His Only Son,” a Christian drama, made a $5.3 million debut. A.V. “A Thousand and One,” Rockwell’s Sundance Film Festival grand jury award winner about a mother (Teyana Taylor) who kidnaps her son from foster care, debuted with $1.8 million in 926 theatres for Focus Features.

Comscore estimates ticket purchases for Friday through Sunday at U.S. and Canadian theatres. The final domestic data will be published on Monday.

SOURCE – (AP)

Kiara Grace is a staff writer at VORNews, a reputable online publication. Her writing focuses on technology trends, particularly in the realm of consumer electronics and software. With a keen eye for detail and a knack for breaking down complex topics, Kiara delivers insightful analyses that resonate with tech enthusiasts and casual readers alike. Her articles strike a balance between in-depth coverage and accessibility, making them a go-to resource for anyone seeking to stay informed about the latest innovations shaping our digital world.

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Not A Toddler, Not A Parent, But Still Love ‘Bluey’? You’re Not Alone

Published

on

bluey

Phoenix — A little blue dog with an Australian accent has captivated the hearts of people all around the world.

She is the titular character of “Bluey,” a seven-minute children’s show that has captivated both kids and adults. This week’s publication of its longest episode yet, at 28 minutes, elicited an outpouring of praise for the show, even from those who are neither toddlers nor parents.

bluey

AP – VOR News Image

Not A Toddler, Not A Parent, But Still Love ‘Bluey’? You’re Not Alone

“Bluey” follows an Australian blue heeler and her sister, a red heeler named Bingo, as they navigate the days between home and school. It’s popular with kids because of its fun comedy, but it also appeals to adults who miss their childhood.

“My childhood experience wasn’t the best, so I’ve always identified with shows where life is good,” says Miriam Neel, who lives in Colorado. “The parents in ‘Bluey’ enable imagination and creativity and really get involved with their kids, and I wish I had those experiences.”

Neel is 32 and has decided not to have any children of her own. She claims the show has become a part of her morning ritual and is frequently used as background noise when working from home.

“I won’t speak for the entire generation, but millennials find solace in cartoons. “It’s what most of us grew up watching,” she explained. “And if I’m going to spend time watching something, I’d rather watch something that doesn’t make me afraid of the world, like any of the ‘Law & Order’ shows.”

Not A Toddler, Not A Parent, But Still Love ‘Bluey’? You’re Not Alone

bluey

AP – VOR News Image

“Bluey,” which currently has over 150 episodes, aired in Australia in 2018 and will begin streaming on Disney+ in 2020. It has also been transformed into a digital series in which prominent fans such as Bindi Irwin and Eva Mendes read excerpts from popular storybooks, as well as a live theater act that travels the world.

The show has also received numerous accolades, including the Australian Film Institute Award for Best Children’s Television Drama every year since 2019 and an International Emmy Kids Award.

The series presents a child’s viewpoint on morning routines, errands, and chores, as well as a glimpse into the lives of parents through mother Chilli and father Bandit.

bluey

AP – VOR News Image

Not A Toddler, Not A Parent, But Still Love ‘Bluey’? You’re Not Alone

This week’s special episode, “The Sign,” delves into the emotions surrounding subjects that are relevant to both children and adults, such as moving residences, marriage, infertility, and post-divorce relationships. In addition to these universal themes, the episode concludes the third season with Easter eggs for loyal viewers.

SOURCE – (AP)

Continue Reading

Celebrity

Dick Van Dyke Earns Historic Daytime Emmy Nomination At Age 98

Published

on

dyke
AP - VOR News Image

Los Angeles — Dick Van Dyke, 98, is contending for a historic Daytime Emmy.

The actor was nominated Friday as a guest star in a daytime drama series for his role as amnesiac Timothy Robicheaux on Peacock’s “Days of Our Lives.

Van Dyke is the oldest daytime Emmy nominee. When producer Norman Lear won his final Primetime Emmy nomination in 2022, he was 100 years old. He died the following year.

dick van dyke

people – VOR News Image

Dick Van Dyke Earns Historic Daytime Emmy Nomination At Age 98

Van Dyke is up against Guy Pearce, an Australian actor from Amazon Prime Video’s “Neighbours.”

Van Dyke earned four Primetime Emmys, including three in the 1960s, for his legendary comedy series “The Dick Van Dyke Show.”

Selena Gomez, an actor and singer, is nominated in the culinary series category for her Food Network special “Selena + Chef: Home for the Holidays.” The Food Network’s “Valerie’s Home Cooking,” hosted by actor Valerie Bertinelli and which concluded last year, is also nominated in that category.

dyke

People – VOR News Image

Dick Van Dyke Earns Historic Daytime Emmy Nomination At Age 98

CBS will cancel “The Talk” after its 15th season later this year. Akbar Gbajabiamila, Amanda Kloots, Natalie Morales, Jerry O’Connell, and Sheryl Underwood were nominated for daytime talk show hosting.

The main actress nominations are Tamara Braun of “Days of Our Lives,” Finola Hughes and Cynthia Watros of “General Hospital,” Katherine Kelly Lang and Annika Noelle of “The Bold and the Beautiful,” and Michelle Stafford of “The Young and the Restless.”

The lead actor nominees include Eric Braeden of “The Young and the Restless,” Scott Clifton, Thorsten Kaye, and John McCook of “The Bold and the Beautiful,” and Eric Martsolf of “Days of Our Lives.”

dyke

Womens World – VOR News Image

Dick Van Dyke Earns Historic Daytime Emmy Nomination At Age 98

The Daytime Emmys will be broadcast live on CBS on June 7 in Los Angeles. The show is back to its regular schedule after being postponed until December due to strikes by Hollywood performers and writers. The hosts and Lifetime Achievement award recipients will be announced later.

SOURCE – AP

Continue Reading

Celebrity

Recently Arrested Morgan Wallen Says He’s “Not Proud” Of Behavior

Published

on

wallen
rolling stone - VOR News Image

Nashville, Tennessee – Morgan Wallen, a country music singer facing charges coming in part from allegations that he tossed a chair off the rooftop of a six-story club, says he is “not proud” of his actions and accepts responsibility.

The “One Thing at a Time” singer took to social media Friday night to comment to his arrest in Nashville two weeks earlier. According to court documents, he was charged with three felony charges of reckless endangerment and one misdemeanor count of disorderly conduct. He is scheduled to appear in court on May 3.

wallen

the daily – VOR News Image

Recently Arrested Morgan Wallen Says He’s “Not Proud” Of Behavior

According to an arrest document, the chair at Chief’s pub landed about 3 feet (1 meter) from officers, who spoke with witnesses and checked CCTV footage. Witnesses informed police that they saw Wallen take up a chair, throw it over the roof, and laugh about it. Wallen was arrested early on April 8 and later freed.

“I didn’t feel comfortable checking in publicly until I had made apologies with some people. I’ve contacted Nashville police enforcement, my family, and the friendly staff at Chief’s. I’m not proud of my actions, and I accept responsibility,” Wallen stated on X (previously Twitter).

wallen

AP – VOR News image

Recently Arrested Morgan Wallen Says He’s “Not Proud” Of Behavior

Wallen, one of the most well-known artists in contemporary country music, is now on a stadium tour that includes a concert on Saturday at Vaught-Hemingway Stadium in Oxford, Mississippi.

“I have the greatest regard for the cops who labor every day to keep us all safe. “There will be no changes to my tour,” his reply read, signed “-MW.”

The “One Thing at a Time” album topped the Billboard 200 for 16 weeks in 2023 and was the best-selling album in the United States last year. The top ten successes from the album included “Last Night,” “You Proof,” and “Thinkin’ Bout Me.”

wallen

News week _ VOR News Image

Recently Arrested Morgan Wallen Says He’s “Not Proud” Of Behavior

In 2021, the country artist was suspended indefinitely by his label when a video surfaced showing him uttering a racial slur. He was arrested in 2020 for public intoxication and disorderly conduct after being booted out of Kid Rock’s downtown Nashville bar.

SOURCE – (AP)

Continue Reading

Trending