Connect with us

Tech

Elon Musk Says Continuing with Fossil Fuels Will Cost $14 Trillion

Published

on

elon musk tesla

Elon Musk says converting the globe to fully sustainable energy will need $10 trillion in investment, but continuing to rely on fossil fuels will cost around $14 trillion.

The CEO of Tesla Inc. said in their Master Plan Part 3 published Thursday that a massive build-out of solar-panel factories and metal refineries is required over the next 20 years to deliver renewable power generation and electricity-storage capacity to power the global economy entirely with carbon-free energy.

The white paper expands on Musk’s vision for a world without fossil fuels, which he initially laid out during last month’s investor day. “Earth will transition to a sustainable energy economy,” Elon Musk declared at the Austin event. “And it will occur during your lifetime.”

Tesla envisions improved grids powered by wind and solar, worldwide arrays of battery farms and underground hydrogen caverns to store energy, a retooling of heavy sectors such as steel and cement production, and homes and businesses heated or cooled by heat pumps.

The alternative, continuing to generate oil, coal, and natural gas, Tesla claims, is more expensive, with charges totaling $14 trillion over the next two decades by 2022.

elon musk tesla

Tesla claims that an electrified energy industry necessitates less investment and material extraction than the current economy.

Musk’s proposed global energy system necessitates 30,000 gigatonnes of renewable energy generation and 240,000 gigatonne-hours of storage batteries. According to Bloomberg, renewable capacity will be 3,214 gigatonnes in 2021, with the stationary energy storage industry expected to have 1,432 gigatonnes of capacity by the end of 2030. That would be a big boon for cleantech companies like Tesla.

While a cleaner world’s $10 trillion investment cost is large, Musk claims it is only a fraction of the global economy’s $100 trillion and is fully possible over two decades.

“It would be 0.5% of the global economy over 20 years,” he told investors last month. “This is not a large number.”

Under Musk’s scenario, the global metals sector would experience a significant increase in demand. According to Tesla, a total of $502 billion in mining capital expenditure and $662 billion in refining expenditure would be required to generate the nickel, lithium, copper, and other materials used in batteries and clean-energy equipment.

The automaker claims that $10 trillion in investments will enable the world’s energy grid to transition away from fossil fuels. Totals include the initial investment and 20 years of 5% sustaining capital expenditure.

At peak levels, the world would need to dig up 3.3 gigatonnes (3.3 billion metric tons) of earth annually to extract the metals required to transition to greener energy sources. Tesla stated that by substituting aluminum for copper, total mass might be lowered because the former has far greater ore grades than the latter. In any event, it’s still significantly less than the 15.5 gigatonnes currently taken annually for fossil fuels, according to the report.

There is also a minimal chance that the planet would run out of critical metals, as just a portion of present resources are required, and increased demand will motivate explorers to hunt for new reserves.

As expired batteries, solar panels, and wind turbines are recovered for reuse, recycling will begin to meaningfully replace new metals supplied by 2040. Other elements will be phased out or reduced, including using copper instead of silver in solar panels, artificial graphite in batteries, and removing rare earth from wind turbines.

Tesla stated in the document, “The electrified and sustainable future is technically feasible and requires less investment and material extraction than continuing today’s unsustainable energy economy.”

Elon Musk Seeks End to $258 Billion Dogecoin Lawsuit

Elon Musk Seeks End to $258 Billion Dogecoin Lawsuit

Geoff Thomas is a seasoned staff writer at VORNews, a reputable online publication. With his sharp writing skills and deep understanding of SEO, he consistently delivers high-quality, engaging content that resonates with readers. Thomas' articles are well-researched, informative, and written in a clear, concise style that keeps audiences hooked. His ability to craft compelling narratives while seamlessly incorporating relevant keywords has made him a valuable asset to the VORNews team.

Continue Reading

Business

Apple IPhones Sales Fall 24% In China Amid Competition And Headwinds

Published

on

Apple IPhones Sales Fall 24% In China Amid Competition And Headwinds

According to a new report, iPhone sales fell 24% in the first six weeks of 2024, posing substantial challenges for Apple and other Western technology businesses in a critical market.

According to Counterpoint Research, the overall mobile market in China declined by 7%, with businesses such as Apple, Oppo, and Vivo seeing decreases.

However, the difficulty for Apple has been ongoing for a year; as China’s economy has weakened, trade tensions and nationalism have risen. Counterpoint reported that customers who may have previously considered now opt for national brands, namely Huawei.

apple

Apple IPhones Sales Fall 24% In China Amid Competition And Headwinds

“Primarily, faced stiff competition at the high end from a resurgent Huawei while getting squeezed in the middle by aggressive pricing from the likes of Oppo, Vivo, and Xiaomi,” Mengmeng Zhang, a Counterpoint senior analyst, stated in a press statement. “Although the iPhone 15 is a great device, it has no significant upgrades from the previous version, so consumers feel fine holding on to the older-generation iPhones for now.”

Apple shares fell 2.8% on Tuesday. The stock has lost 11.6% this year due to concerns about slowing sales, notably in China.

The corporation did not respond to a request for comment.

The research comes amid a faltering Chinese economy, a challenging housing market, increasing unemployment among younger workers, and increased rivalry among higher-end vendors in China, particularly from Chinese device giant Huawei.

China is an important market for the company, as it is the second largest after the United States. Apple previously achieved significant gains during its launch period last year. The company continues to give discounts to assist in alleviating some of the downturn.

apple

Apple IPhones Sales Fall 24% In China Amid Competition And Headwinds

Last year, Huawei’s Mate 60 made headlines when the US authorities requested further information on the Pro variant, which included a sophisticated CPU. Its appearance astounded industry observers, who questioned how the company could produce such a device in the wake of the United States’ extensive attempts to limit China’s access to foreign semiconductor technology due to alleged national security concerns.

Some Chinese buyers believe US government sanctions have victimized them and are gravitating toward Huawei’s Mate 60 smartphone, which is approaching Apple sales.

According to Jeff Fieldhack, a research director at Counterpoint, one issue is that Apple had a strong January last year owing to part shortages but did not have any shortages this year.

apple

Apple IPhones Sales Fall 24% In China Amid Competition And Headwinds

“This isn’t a major deal for Apple in the long term,” he added. “It is still a successful iPhone launch and there is more discounting and marketing they can do this year in China to help alleviate the competition from Huawei.”

In January, Huawei held 17% of the mobile market in China, compared to the iPhone’s 16%. Huawei’s demand exceeds its supply, implying that it might sell more, according to Fieldhack.

“Apple, to its credit, ended the year at number one, which was extraordinary despite headwinds from China,” added the analyst.

SOURCE – (CNN)

Continue Reading

Business

Microsoft Says It Hasn’t Been Able To Shake Russian State Hackers

Published

on

microsoft

BOSTON — Microsoft said Friday that it is still working to evict the elite Russian government hackers who broke into senior business officials’ email accounts in November and are attempting to enter consumer networks using stolen access data.

According to the software giant’s blog and regulatory filing, the hackers from Russia’s SVR foreign intelligence service used data gained during the intrusion, which was exposed in mid-January, to compromise some source-code repositories and internal systems.

microsoft

Microsoft Says It Hasn’t Been Able To Shake Russian State Hackers

A corporate official declined to specify the source code and capabilities the hackers gained to further attack customers and systems. Microsoft claimed Friday that hackers obtained “secrets” from email contacts between the business and certain customers, including cryptographic secrets like passwords, certificates, and authentication keys, and that it was contacting them “to assist in mitigating measures.”

Hewlett Packard Enterprise, a cloud computing business, revealed on January 24 that it was also an SVR hacking victim and had been notified of the breach — by whom it would not say — two weeks earlier, coinciding with the revelation that it had been compromised.

“The threat actor’s ongoing attack is characterized by a sustained, significant commitment of the threat actor’s resources, coordination, and focus,” the company said Friday, adding that it may be utilizing acquired data “to accumulate a picture of areas to attack and enhance its ability to do so.” According to cybersecurity experts, Microsoft’s admission that the SVR hack had not been contained highlights the risks of government and business relying heavily on the Redmond, Washington-based company’s software monoculture — and the fact that so many of its customers are linked via its global cloud network.

microsoft

Microsoft Says It Hasn’t Been Able To Shake Russian State Hackers

“This has tremendous national security implications,” said Tom Kellermann of the cybersecurity firm Contrast Security. “The Russians can now leverage supply chain attacks against Microsoft’s customers.”

Tenable’s CEO, Amit Yoran, also published a statement expressing shock and dismay. He is among security pros who believe Microsoft is extremely secretive about its vulnerabilities and how it handles intrusions.

“We should all be furious that this keeps happening,” he continued. “These breaches aren’t isolated from each other and Microsoft’s shady security practices and misleading statements purposely obfuscate the whole truth.”

Microsoft said it has yet to establish if the incident will have a material impact on its profitability. It also stated that the intrusion’s persistence “reflects what has become a more broadly unprecedented global threat landscape, especially in terms of sophisticated nation-state attacks.”

The hackers, known as Cozy Bear, are the same ones responsible for the SolarWinds breach.

microsoft

Microsoft Says It Hasn’t Been Able To Shake Russian State Hackers

When Microsoft first reported the intrusion, it stated that the SVR unit got into its corporate email system and accessed the accounts of certain senior executives and staff from its cybersecurity and legal departments. It did not specify how many accounts were compromised.

At the time, Microsoft stated that it could terminate the hackers’ access to the compromised accounts on or around January 13. But by then, they had certainly established a footing.

It said they gained access via compromising credentials on a “legacy” test account but did not elaborate.

Microsoft’s newest disclosure comes three months after a new Securities and Exchange Commission rule went into effect, requiring publicly traded corporations to disclose breaches that potentially harm their businesses.

SOURCE – (AP)

Continue Reading

News

Dodge Muscle Cars Live On With New Versions Of The Charger Powered By Electricity Or Gasoline

Published

on

dodge

DETROIT — America’s muscle car culture will endure while the country shifts to electric vehicles, but the gas-powered performance automobile will be there for at least a few more years.

On Tuesday, Dodge debuted two battery-powered Charger muscle cars that still roar like a large V8 engine but emit no pollution from the tailpipe.

dodge

New iterations of the Charger that run on gasoline or electricity continue to be Dodge muscle cars.

However, the Stellantis brand, which has carved out a market niche for high-performance vehicles, will continue selling a gas-powered Charger without the large Hemi V8.

Both will be based on Stellantis’ worldwide large vehicle platform, and the Windsor, Ontario, factory that will produce them will be able to switch between gasoline and electric power depending on market demand. Stellantis’ flexibility will allow it to hedge its bets on whether electric vehicle sales take off or slow.

Last year, Stellantis discontinued production of the gas-powered Chargers and Challengers, and many believed it would be the end of the thundering sedans.

However, Dodge CEO Tim Kuniskis hinted that a gasoline version would continue to exist. “It was always there.” It was always in the plans. “It was always coming,” he explained.

dodge

Dodge Muscle Cars Live On With New Versions Of The Charger Powered By Electricity Or Gasoline

However, the business downplayed the gas version in favour of two- and four-door electric variants that resemble Chargers from the 1960s, with aerodynamic lines and hatchbacks rather than trunks.

The electric versions, branded Charger Daytona after the NASCAR raceway in Florida, will have two powertrains, one with up to 670 horsepower and the ability to accelerate from 0 to 60 mph (97 km/h) in 3.3 seconds. The other is no slouch, with 496 horsepower and a zero to 60 time of 4.7 seconds.

Dodge boasts that its high-performance electric version is the world’s fastest and most powerful muscle car. Next year, an even higher-performing version will be released.

The 496-horsepower Daytona is predicted to have a range of 317 miles (510 kilometres) per charge, while the high-performance version can travel 260 miles (418 kilometres).

Both will include the company’s Fratzonic Chambered Exhaust, which routes air through a chamber to replicate the roar of a V8.

Both are hefty because of their large batteries, with gross vehicle weights of more than three tons.

The new gas-powered Charger Sixpack will have a similar design to the electric variants and be powered by a new 3-litre six-cylinder engine with two turbochargers. Standard variants will generate 420 horsepower, while high-output engines will produce 550.

According to the firm, the new engine will produce more horsepower and torque than the previous 5.7- and 6.4-liter Hemi V8s. According to company executives, fuel efficiency tests on the Charger’s new engine still need to be finished.

dodge

Dodge Muscle Cars Live On With New Versions Of The Charger Powered By Electricity Or Gasoline

All variants have all-wheel drive, although they can be converted to rear-wheel drive, so owners may still experience burnout and drift. There will be alternatives to prepare the automobiles for the racecourse.

The two-door coupe Daytona models are anticipated to go into production this summer, while the electric four-door and gas-powered versions will begin early next year.

Kuniskis said he is still determining which kind will sell better, electric or gas. With federal tax breaks on electric vehicles, leasing payments are anticipated to be quite appealing, which could convince some consumers, he added.

Environmentalists will almost definitely attack the firm for releasing EVs that prioritize performance efficiency while maintaining the gas-powered muscle car. However, Kuniskis stated that in typical circumstances, approximately 17 million new vehicles are sold annually in the United States.

“It’s a 17 million unit industry,” he said. “And you know what? People require options,” he added, adding that the corporation could face criticism if it did not produce electrified versions.

SOURCE – (AP)

Continue Reading

Trending