Connect with us

Celebrity

Hugh Grant Says He Got ‘Enormous Sum’ To Settle Suit Alleging Illegal Snooping By The Sun Tabloid

Published

on

Hugh Grant says he got ‘enormous sum’ to settle suit alleging illegal snooping by The Sun tabloid
AP - VOR News Image

LONDON — Hugh Grant received “an enormous sum of money” to settle a lawsuit accusing The Sun tabloid of illegally tapping his phone, bugging his car, and getting into his home to snoop on him, the actor revealed Wednesday after the settlement was announced in court.

Grant, along with Prince Harry, sued News Group Newspapers and said he settled reluctantly because he could have faced a large legal fee even if he won at trial. If he had been awarded a cent less than the settlement offer, he would have been required to pay legal fees to both parties.

https://apnews.com/article/hugh-grant-sun-tabloid-phone-hacking-settlement-81619c529179a3d07bb86c2aa3843752

AP – VOR News Image

Hugh Grant Says He Got ‘Enormous Sum’ To Settle Suit Alleging Illegal Snooping By The Sun Tabloid

“As is common with entirely innocent people, they are offering me an enormous sum of money to keep this matter out of court,” Grant claimed on the social media platform X. “Even if every allegation is proven in court, I would still be liable for approximately 10 million pounds ($12.4 million) in costs.” I’m afraid I’m shy at that fence.”

The settlement sum was not disclosed. NGN said it accepted no wrongdoing and that the settlement was in both parties’ best interests to avoid a costly trial.

Grant and other claimants allege that between 1994 and 2016, NGN, a subsidiary of Rupert Murdoch’s media empire, violated their privacy by hiring private investigators to intercept voicemails, tap phones, bug cars and use deception to access confidential information.

Grant claimed in a witness statement that he could never figure out who broke into his fourth-floor flat in 2011. The door had been pulled from its hinges, and the interior appeared to be a battle scene, but nothing was gone. Two days later, The Sun published a story on the inside and “signs of a domestic row.”

He claimed he was shocked to learn that someone working for The Sun had broken into his house and put a monitoring device on his car.

Grant and other claimants have alleged that NGN, a subsidiary of the media empire built by Rupert Murdoch, violated their privacy through widespread unlawful activity that included hiring private investigators to intercept voicemails, tap phones, bug cars and use deception to access confidential information between 1994 and 2016.Grant said in a witness statement that he could never figure out who broke into his fourth-floor apartment in 2011. The door had been pried off its hinges and the interior looked like there had been a fight but nothing was missing. Two days later, The Sun had a story detailing the interior and “signs of a domestic row.”

He said he was astonished when a private eye hired by The Sun disclosed that people working for the newspaper had burglarized his apartment and placed a tracking device on his car.

Grant, who previously settled a case against Murdoch’s News of the World for hacking his phone, said he would not go away quietly.

“Murdoch’s settlement money has a stink and I refuse to let this be hush money,” he said. “I have spent the best part of 12 years fighting for a free press that does not distort the truth, abuse ordinary members of the public or hold elected (members of Parliament) to ransom in pursuit of newspaper barons’ personal profit and political power.”

Grant said he would direct the money to groups like Hacked Off, which was formed after phone hacking revelations in 2011 brought down News of the World and led to a government inquiry into unlawful press practices. Grant is a board member of the group that advocates for a free and accountable press.

While the now-defunct News of the World has apologized for hacking the phones of celebrities, politicians and families of dead soldiers and a murdered school girl, The Sun has settled cases without admitting liability.

Grant’s agreement to settle his claims leaves The Duke of Sussex and 41 others scheduled to go to trial in the High Court in January.

The settlement came after Justice Timothy Fancourt previously rejected NGN’s attempt to throw out Grant’s lawsuit in May.

“If true ... these allegations would establish very serious, deliberate wrongdoing at NGN, conducted on an institutional basis on a huge scale,” Fancourt wrote in May. “They would also establish a concerted effort to conceal the wrongdoing by hiding and destroying relevant documentary evidence, repeated public denials, lies to regulators and authorities, and unwarranted threats to those who dared to make allegations or notify intended claims against The Sun.

AP – VOR News Image

Hugh Grant Says He Got ‘Enormous Sum’ To Settle Suit Alleging Illegal Snooping By The Sun Tabloid

Grant, who had already settled a case against Murdoch’s News of the World for hacking his phone, said he would not go lightly.

“Murdoch’s settlement money stinks and I refuse to let this be hush money,” he told reporters. I have spent the best part of 12 years fighting for a free press that does not distort the truth, abuse ordinary members of the public or hold elected (members of Parliament) to ransom in pursuit of newspaper barons’ personal profit and political power.”

Grant stated that he would donate the money to organizations such as Hacked Off, founded after phone hacking disclosures in 2011 brought down News of the World and prompted a government investigation into illegal press practices. Grant serves on the board of a group dedicated to promoting a free and accountable press.

While the now-defunct News of the World has apologized for hacking the phones of celebrities, politicians, and relatives of deceased soldiers and a murdered schoolgirl, The Sun has resolved claims without admitting guilt.

After Grant’s consent to settle his claims, the Duke of Sussex and 41 others are slated to go to trial in the High Court in January.

The settlement occurred after Justice Timothy Fancourt rejected NGN’s bid to dismiss Grant’s claim in May.

Grant and other claimants have alleged that NGN, a subsidiary of the media empire built by Rupert Murdoch, violated their privacy through widespread unlawful activity that included hiring private investigators to intercept voicemails, tap phones, bug cars and use deception to access confidential information between 1994 and 2016.Grant said in a witness statement that he could never figure out who broke into his fourth-floor apartment in 2011. The door had been pried off its hinges and the interior looked like there had been a fight but nothing was missing. Two days later, The Sun had a story detailing the interior and “signs of a domestic row.”

He said he was astonished when a private eye hired by The Sun disclosed that people working for the newspaper had burglarized his apartment and placed a tracking device on his car.

Grant, who previously settled a case against Murdoch’s News of the World for hacking his phone, said he would not go away quietly.

“Murdoch’s settlement money has a stink and I refuse to let this be hush money,” he said. “I have spent the best part of 12 years fighting for a free press that does not distort the truth, abuse ordinary members of the public or hold elected (members of Parliament) to ransom in pursuit of newspaper barons’ personal profit and political power.”

Grant said he would direct the money to groups like Hacked Off, which was formed after phone hacking revelations in 2011 brought down News of the World and led to a government inquiry into unlawful press practices. Grant is a board member of the group that advocates for a free and accountable press.

While the now-defunct News of the World has apologized for hacking the phones of celebrities, politicians and families of dead soldiers and a murdered school girl, The Sun has settled cases without admitting liability.

Grant’s agreement to settle his claims leaves The Duke of Sussex and 41 others scheduled to go to trial in the High Court in January.

The settlement came after Justice Timothy Fancourt previously rejected NGN’s attempt to throw out Grant’s lawsuit in May.

“If true ... these allegations would establish very serious, deliberate wrongdoing at NGN, conducted on an institutional basis on a huge scale,” Fancourt wrote in May. “They would also establish a concerted effort to conceal the wrongdoing by hiding and destroying relevant documentary evidence, repeated public denials, lies to regulators and authorities, and unwarranted threats to those who dared to make allegations or notify intended claims against The Sun.

AP – VOR News Image

Hugh Grant Says He Got ‘Enormous Sum’ To Settle Suit Alleging Illegal Snooping By The Sun Tabloid

“If true … these allegations would establish very serious, deliberate wrongdoing at NGN, conducted on an institutional basis on a huge scale,” Fancourt wrote. “They would also make a concerted effort to conceal the wrongdoing by concealing and destroying relevant documentary evidence, issuing repeated public denials, lying to regulators and authorities, and threatening those who dared to make allegations or notify intended claims against The Sun.”

SOURCE – (AP)

Kiara Grace is a staff writer at VORNews, a reputable online publication. Her writing focuses on technology trends, particularly in the realm of consumer electronics and software. With a keen eye for detail and a knack for breaking down complex topics, Kiara delivers insightful analyses that resonate with tech enthusiasts and casual readers alike. Her articles strike a balance between in-depth coverage and accessibility, making them a go-to resource for anyone seeking to stay informed about the latest innovations shaping our digital world.

Entertainment

Charlie Colin, Founding Member Of The Band Train, Dies At 58 After Slipping In Shower

Published

on

colin
Charlie Colin | AP News Image

BRUSSELS — Charlie Colin, the bassist and founding member of the band Train, best known for their early-aughts songs “Drops of Jupiter” and “Meet Virginia,” has passed away. He was 58.

Colin’s sister, Carolyn Stephens, confirmed her brother’s death to The Associated Press on Wednesday. He died after slipping and falling in the bathtub while housesitting for a friend in Brussels, according to celebrity website TMZ.com.

colin

Charlie Colin | NY Post Image

Charlie Colin, Founding Member Of The Band Train, Dies At 58 After Slipping In Shower

Colin grew up in Southern California and attended Berklee College of Music in Boston. After college, he joined the band Apostles, which included guitarist Jimmy Stafford and singer Rob Hotchkiss. After the band broke up, Colin spent a year writing jingles in Singapore.

Colin, Hotchkiss, and Stafford eventually migrated to San Francisco, where they created Train in the early 1990s alongside singer Pat Monahan. According to an interview with Colin and Hotchkiss in Berklee’s alumni magazine, Colin rounded out the quartet with drummer Scott Underwood.

Colin was a founding member of the pop-rock band, appearing on the band’s first three albums: 1998’s self-titled album, 2001’s “Drops of Jupiter,” and 2003’s “My Private Nation.” The latter two albums peaked at No. 6 on the Billboard 200 charts.

“Meet Virginia,” from Train’s debut album, peaked at number 20 on the Billboard Hot 100, but the band’s sophomore album cemented their fame.

The eight-time platinum title tune “Drops of Jupiter (Tell Me)” featured Rolling Stones session pianist Chuck Leavell and Leonard Cohen’s string orchestrator Paul Buckmaster. It was written after Monahan’s mother’s death. It peaked at No. 5 on the Billboard list and won two Grammys, including Best Rock Song.

Colin departed Train in 2003 due to substance misuse.

charlie colin

Charlie Colin | Reddit Image

Charlie Colin, Founding Member Of The Band Train, Dies At 58 After Slipping In Shower

“Charlie is one incredible bass player, but he was in a lot of pain, and the way he was dealing with it was very painful for everyone else around him,” Monahan stated to NBC San Diego.

In 2015, he rejoined Hotchkiss to form the new band Painbirds alongside Tom Luce. In 2017, he established the Side Deal, which included Sugar Ray’s Stan Frazier and the PawnShop Kings’ Joel and Scott Owen.

Train posted an homage to Colin on their social media platforms on Wednesday.

“When I met Charlie Colin (front left), I fell in love with him. He was the sweetest and most attractive man. “Let’s form a band; it’s the only reasonable thing to do,” it reads.

“His distinct bass playing and wonderful guitar work helped get people to notice us in San Francisco and abroad. I’ll always have a soft spot for him in my heart. I always attempted to bring him closer, but he had his vision. You are a legend, Charlie. “Go charm the pants off those angels,” the unsigned post added.

Colin documented his stay in Brussels before his death, declaring it “officially my favorite city” in a March Instagram post.

charlie colin

Charlie Colin | NY Post Image

Charlie Colin, Founding Member Of The Band Train, Dies At 58 After Slipping In Shower

Colin also served as the music director for the Newport Beach Film Festival.

“Charlie was a special part of the Newport Beach Film Festival family,” said Todd Quartararo, the festival’s co-founder. “His heart, compassion and creativity will surely be missed.”

He is survived by his parents, sister, and niece

SOURCE – (AP)

Continue Reading

Celebrity

Matthew Perry’s Death Under Investigation In Connection With Ketamine Level Found In Actor’s Blood

Published

on

Friends Star Matthew Perry, 54 Found Dead at His LA Home

Los Angeles  — Authorities have begun an investigation into how Matthew Perry obtained the ketamine that killed him, police said Tuesday.

Los Angeles police are collaborating with the US Narcotic Enforcement Administration and the US Postal Inspection Service to investigate why the 54-year-old “Friends” star had so much of the narcotic in his system, LAPD Capt. Scot Williams said in an email.

perry

matthew Perry | CBC Image

Matthew Perry’s Death Under Investigation In Connection With Ketamine Level Found In Actor’s Blood

On Oct. 28, an assistant discovered Perry, 54, face down in his hot tub, and paramedics arrived and confirmed him dead. His autopsy, which was disclosed in December, revealed that the level of ketamine in his blood was within the range used for general anesthesia during surgery. The primary cause of death was categorized as an accident, with no foul play suspected, according to the report.

The coroner cited drowning and other medical conditions as contributory reasons.

TMZ initially revealed the probe.

People close to the star informed coroner’s investigators that he was receiving ketamine infusion therapy. The decades-old surgical medication has experienced a significant increase in use in recent years to treat depression, anxiety, and pain.

However, the medical examiner stated that Perry’s most recent treatment, which occurred one and a half weeks prior, could not account for the ketamine levels in his blood. The medication is normally metabolized within hours. According to the medical examiner’s report, Perry was being treated by at least two doctors: a psychiatrist and an anesthesiologist who also functioned as his primary care physician. No illegal drugs or paraphernalia were discovered at his home.

perry

Matthew Perry | People Image

Matthew Perry’s Death Under Investigation In Connection With Ketamine Level Found In Actor’s Blood

Perry struggled with addiction for years, beginning with his time on “Friends,” where he starred as Chandler Bing alongside Jennifer Aniston, Courteney Cox, Lisa Kudrow, Matt LeBlanc, and David Schwimmer for ten seasons from 1994 to 2004.

In other cases, celebrity deaths caused by drugs prompted authorities to punish those who gave them.

After rapper Mac Miller died from an overdose of cocaine, alcohol, and fentanyl-laced counterfeit oxycodone, two of the guys who gave him the fentanyl were convicted of trafficking it. One was sentenced to more than 17 years in federal prison, while the other received 10 years.

Two doctors and a manager of model and reality TV star Anna Nicole Smith were charged with scheming to obtain her prescription medicines before her 2007 death but not with causing her deadly overdose. All accusations against one doctor were subsequently dismissedexcept one misdemeanor fraud charge.

perry

Matthew Perry | Rolling Stone Image

Matthew Perry’s Death Under Investigation In Connection With Ketamine Level Found In Actor’s Blood

After Michael Jackson died in 2009 from a deadly dose of propofol, a medicine designed for use only during surgery and other medical operations, not for the insomnia the singer wanted, his doctor, Conrad Murray, was convicted of involuntary manslaughter in 2011. Murray has maintained his innocence.

SOURCE – (AP)

Continue Reading

Celebrity

Sean ‘Diddy’ Combs Accused Of 2003 Sexual Assault In Lawsuit

Published

on

Diddy combs
Combs | AP News Image

NEW YORK — A former model accused Sean “Diddy” Combs of sexually abusing her at his New York City recording studio in 2003, according to a lawsuit filed Tuesday, the latest in a slew of allegations against the embattled hip-hop entrepreneur.

Crystal McKinney, a prominent 22-year-old model, said she met Diddy at a restaurant during Men’s Fashion Week in Manhattan. The criminal complaint filed in New York City states that Combs invited her to his recording studio later that night.

combs

P diddy Combs | Sky News Image

Sean ‘Diddy’ Combs Accused Of 2003 Sexual Assault In Lawsuit

According to the lawsuit, when McKinney arrived, Diddy was drinking and smoking joints with several other males. According to the lawsuit, she smoked some marijuana and “later came to understand” that it was tainted with a narcotic or intoxicating drug. She felt as if she were floating. Diddy escorted her to the restroom, where the sexual assault occurred, according to the lawsuit.

According to the lawsuit, Diddy escorted her back to the studio, where she lost consciousness. She later awoke in a taxi and discovered she had been sexually assaulted, according to the lawsuit.

combs

Combs | Cheat Sheet Image

Sean ‘Diddy’ Combs Accused Of 2003 Sexual Assault In Lawsuit

Diddy’s reps did not immediately respond to an email requesting comment.

The Associated Press normally does not identify persons who claim to have been sexually abused unless they come forward publicly, as McKinney has.

The complaint was filed days after CNN published security footage showing Combs assaulting singer Cassie in a Los Angeles hotel corridor in 2016. On Sunday, Diddy published a video admitting to attacking Cassie in a hotel hallway, stating he was “truly sorry” and his actions were “inexcusable.”

Diddy is not likely to face criminal charges for the incident due to the statute of limitations.

combs

Diddy Combs | AP News Image

Sean ‘Diddy’ Combs Accused Of 2003 Sexual Assault In Lawsuit

Cassie filed a complaint in November alleging beatings and abuse, which was resolved a day later. However, it sparked increased scrutiny of Diddy, with numerous further lawsuits filed in the following months, as well as a federal criminal sex-trafficking probe that prompted investigators to raid Combs’ residences in Los Angeles and Miami.

The claim was filed on Tuesday under a New York City law that allows accusers to initiate civil litigation within a specific time frame, even if the alleged crimes occurred many years ago.

SOURCE – (AP)

Continue Reading

Download Our App

vornews app

Volunteering at Soi Dog

People Reading

Trending