Connect with us

Electronics

Tesla Buyout Trial Mocked By Shareholders

Published

on

tesla

SAN FRANCISCO – Lawyers for Tesla shareholders who are suing Tesla CEO Elon Musk over a misleading tweet want a federal judge to deny Musk’s request to move an upcoming trial from California to Texas.

Musk claims that possible jurors in the San Francisco federal court where the case was filed four years ago will treat him unfairly.

However, Tesla shareholders’ attorneys asserted in a Wednesday filing that there are no legal grounds to move the upcoming trial, which is an Aug. 7, 2018, tweet in which Musk indicated he had lined up financing for a Tesla buyout. A deal that never materialized and resulted in a $40 million settlement with U.S. securities regulators.

The lawyers also said that Musk is the only one to blame for any bad impressions because he is so active on Twitter, which he owns and runs now.

tesla

For Better Or Worse, Musk Is a Celebrity

In their 19-page response to the transfer request, the shareholders’ lawyers said, “For better or worse, Musk is a celebrity who gets attention from media around the world.” “His Twitter presence alone is partially to blame for this. Musk would be practically untriable before a jury if all required to exclude a jury pool were “bad” attention, given his penchant for drawing “negative” media.

The filing comes less than a week after Musk’s lawyer, requested U.S. District Judge Edward Chen to transfer the case to Texas, where Musk plans to relocate Tesla‘s headquarters in 2021 after almost two decades in Silicon Valley. Spiro is requesting a delay in the commencement of jury selection, which is currently set for Tuesday if the trial is not shifted.

tesla

Telsa Shareholders Upset

The lawyers for the shareholders said that their 2018 case would never have been allowed in a federal court in Texas because Musk’s tweet about buying out Tesla happened when Tesla was based in Palo Alto, California. Also on the list of witnesses are several former Tesla executives who live in California and would have to deal with a lot of trouble if the trial was moved to Texas.

Chen has set up a Friday hearing for more arguments about Musk’s request to move or delay the trial. The judge has already decided that Musk’s tweet about the buyout  Tesla was false, so it will be up to a jury to decide if he was careless when he sent it out and if it cost Tesla shareholders money.

After correcting for two stock splits since 2018, Tesla’s shares are now worth approximately six times what they were at the time of Musk’s phony buyout comments.

Musk has been seen as a tech pioneer in the San Francisco Bay Area for years, but Spiro thinks the bad press has hurt his reputation since he bought Twitter for $44 billion in October. Since then, Musk has fired or forced out more than half of Twitter’s employees, and his critics say he has taken away the service’s protections against fake news and bad content.

tesla

Juror Bias A Likelihood

According to Spiro, the opposition to such initiatives, which Musk has defended as steps to reduce Twitter’s losses and maintain free speech rights, raised the likelihood that potential jurors will be biased against him. Among other things, Spiro mentioned the likelihood that possible jurors from the San Francisco Bay Area were recently laid off at Twitter or knew someone who was laid off after Musk’s takeover.

To refute that claim, the shareholders’ counsel of Tesla highlighted the over 200 jury questionnaires sent to Chen. According to the attorneys, only two or three jurors admitted to knowing someone who works at Twitter.

SOURCE – (AP)

Kiara Grace is a staff writer at VORNews, a reputable online publication. Her writing focuses on technology trends, particularly in the realm of consumer electronics and software. With a keen eye for detail and a knack for breaking down complex topics, Kiara delivers insightful analyses that resonate with tech enthusiasts and casual readers alike. Her articles strike a balance between in-depth coverage and accessibility, making them a go-to resource for anyone seeking to stay informed about the latest innovations shaping our digital world.

Business

Apple Pulls WhatsApp And Threads From App Store On Beijing’s Orders

Published

on

APPLE
Game Rant - VOR News Image

HONG KONG — Apple said it has deleted Meta’s WhatsApp messaging service and Threads social media program from the service Store in China in accordance with Chinese authorities’ requests.

Chinese officials withdrew the apps from the store on Friday, citing unspecified national security concerns.

Their departure coincides with heightened tensions between the United States and China over trade, technology, and national security.

apple

Wishu – VOR News Image

Apple Pulls WhatsApp And Threads From App Store On Beijing’s Orders

The United States has threatened to ban TikTok due to national security concerns. However, while TikTok, owned by Chinese technology giant ByteDance, is popular in the United States, apps such as WhatsApp and Threads are not widely utilized in China.

Instead, the texting program WeChat, owned by the Chinese giant Tencent, dominates.

Other Meta apps, like as Facebook, Instagram, and Messenger, remained available for download, however usage of such international apps is prohibited in China due to the country’s “Great Firewall” network of filters, which restricts access to foreign websites like Facebook and Google.

“The Cyberspace Administration of China ordered the removal of these apps from the China storefront based on their national security concerns,” the company stated in a statement.

“We are obligated to follow the laws in the countries where we operate, even when we disagree,” the company added.

Meta didn’t immediately respond.

apple

Siasat – VOR News Image

Apple Pulls WhatsApp And Threads From App Store On Beijing’s Orders

Apple, previously the world’s leading smartphone manufacturer, has lost that position to Korean rival Samsung Electronics. The US company has faced headwinds in China, one of its top three markets, with sales falling after Chinese government agencies and state-owned company employees were told not to bring Apple devices to work.

Apple has been expanding its production sites beyond China.

Its CEO, Tim Cook, has been visiting Southeast Asia this week, visiting Hanoi and Jakarta before concluding his trip in Singapore. On Friday, he met with Singapore’s deputy prime minister, Lawrence Wong, and “discussed the partnership between Singapore and Apple, as well as Apple’s continued commitment to doing business in Singapore.”

Apple has vowed to invest more than $250 million to develop its campus in the city-state.

Cook visited with Vietnamese Prime Minister Pham Minh Chinh earlier this week in Hanoi, promising to spend more money on Vietnamese suppliers.

apple

gischina – VOR News Image

Apple Pulls WhatsApp And Threads From App Store On Beijing’s Orders

He also met with Indonesia’s President Joko Widodo. Cook later told reporters that they discussed Widodo’s intention to increase manufacturing in Indonesia, and that Apple will “look at” it.

SOURCE – (AP)

Continue Reading

Business

Tesla wants shareholders to reinstate $56 billion pay package for Musk rejected by Delaware judge

Published

on

Tesla wants shareholders to reinstate $56 billion pay package for Musk rejected by Delaware judge
AP - VOR News Image

AUSTIN, Texas – Tesla will ask shareholders to approve the reinstatement of a $56 billion compensation package for CEO Elon Musk, which a Delaware judge rejected earlier this year, and move the electric car manufacturer’s headquarters from Delaware to Texas.

In a statement with federal regulators early Wednesday, the business stated that shareholders will vote on both measures at its annual meeting on June 13.

Tesla wants shareholders to reinstate $56 billion pay package for Musk rejected by Delaware judge

Winipeg Free Press – VOR News Image

Tesla wants shareholders to reinstate $56 billion pay package for Musk rejected by Delaware judge

The Tesla board of directors offered Musk an unprecedented compensation plan that could be worth $55.8 billion over ten years starting in 2018, but Chancellor Kathaleen St. Jude McCormick ruled in January that Musk is not eligible for it.

Five years ago, a Tesla shareholder lawsuit argued that the pay package should be void because Musk dictated it and forged agreements with directors who weren’t impartial to him.

Musk announced a month after the judge’s decision that he would try to relocate Tesla’s corporate listing to Texas, where he has already relocated the company’s headquarters.

Almost immediately after the judge’s order, Musk moved Neuralink, his privately held brain implant company, from Delaware to Nevada.

Tesla met all of the operational and stock value benchmarks outlined in a 2018 CEO pay package, according to Chairperson Robyn Denholm in a letter to shareholders this week. She also stated that Musk has met the automaker’s growth expectations.

“Because the Delaware Court second-guessed your decision, Elon has not been paid for any of his work for Tesla for the past six years, which has helped to generate significant growth and stockholder value,” Denholm said. “That strikes us — and the many stockholders from whom we already have heard — as fundamentally unfair, and inconsistent with the will of the stockholders who voted for it.”

According to a regulatory filing, Tesla delivered 1.8 million electric vehicles worldwide in 2023. However, the value of its shares has dropped sharply this year as sales of electric vehicles fall.

Tesla wants shareholders to reinstate $56 billion pay package for Musk rejected by Delaware judge

CTV News – VOR News Image

Tesla wants shareholders to reinstate $56 billion pay package for Musk rejected by Delaware judge

Future growth is still being determined, and it may be difficult to persuade shareholders to support a large pay package in a market where competition has increased globally, and demand for electric vehicle sales is declining. Shareholders will also be asked to submit a nonbinding advisory vote on future CEO pay.

Tesla’s stock has lost over one-third of its worth this year as dramatic price cuts have yet to attract new purchasers. The business said it shipped 386,810 automobiles from January to March, about 9% fewer than last year.

Musk’s package was valued at more than $55.8 billion at the time of the Delaware court verdict, but the court may have cost the erratic CEO more than $10 billion due to the company’s stock decline this year. According to the report, Musk’s 2018 remuneration totaled $44.9 billion at the close of trading on April 12.

Since last year, Tesla has reduced prices by up to $20,000 on some models. The price decreases caused the prices of used electric vehicles to fall, reducing Tesla’s profit margins.

Tesla announced this week that it would lay off nearly 10% of its workforce, or approximately 14,000 individuals.

Following receipt of a report from a special committee under the direction of one board member, Kathleen Wilson-Thompson, Tesla’s board stated in the filing that it sought shareholder approval of Musk’s 2018 compensation package.

Tesla wants shareholders to reinstate $56 billion pay package for Musk rejected by Delaware judge

WHDH – VOR News Image

Tesla wants shareholders to reinstate $56 billion pay package for Musk rejected by Delaware judge

The board stated that if a significant vote is cast against future executive pay packages, “we will consider our stockholders’ concerns, and the compensation committee will evaluate whether any actions are necessary to address those concerns.”

Tesla Inc. shares, which fell another 8% this week, were marginally down in trade shortly after Wednesday’s opening bell.

SOURCE – (AP)

Continue Reading

Business

Microsoft Says It Hasn’t Been Able To Shake Russian State Hackers

Published

on

microsoft

BOSTON — Microsoft said Friday that it is still working to evict the elite Russian government hackers who broke into senior business officials’ email accounts in November and are attempting to enter consumer networks using stolen access data.

According to the software giant’s blog and regulatory filing, the hackers from Russia’s SVR foreign intelligence service used data gained during the intrusion, which was exposed in mid-January, to compromise some source-code repositories and internal systems.

microsoft

Microsoft Says It Hasn’t Been Able To Shake Russian State Hackers

A corporate official declined to specify the source code and capabilities the hackers gained to further attack customers and systems. Microsoft claimed Friday that hackers obtained “secrets” from email contacts between the business and certain customers, including cryptographic secrets like passwords, certificates, and authentication keys, and that it was contacting them “to assist in mitigating measures.”

Hewlett Packard Enterprise, a cloud computing business, revealed on January 24 that it was also an SVR hacking victim and had been notified of the breach — by whom it would not say — two weeks earlier, coinciding with the revelation that it had been compromised.

“The threat actor’s ongoing attack is characterized by a sustained, significant commitment of the threat actor’s resources, coordination, and focus,” the company said Friday, adding that it may be utilizing acquired data “to accumulate a picture of areas to attack and enhance its ability to do so.” According to cybersecurity experts, Microsoft’s admission that the SVR hack had not been contained highlights the risks of government and business relying heavily on the Redmond, Washington-based company’s software monoculture — and the fact that so many of its customers are linked via its global cloud network.

microsoft

Microsoft Says It Hasn’t Been Able To Shake Russian State Hackers

“This has tremendous national security implications,” said Tom Kellermann of the cybersecurity firm Contrast Security. “The Russians can now leverage supply chain attacks against Microsoft’s customers.”

Tenable’s CEO, Amit Yoran, also published a statement expressing shock and dismay. He is among security pros who believe Microsoft is extremely secretive about its vulnerabilities and how it handles intrusions.

“We should all be furious that this keeps happening,” he continued. “These breaches aren’t isolated from each other and Microsoft’s shady security practices and misleading statements purposely obfuscate the whole truth.”

Microsoft said it has yet to establish if the incident will have a material impact on its profitability. It also stated that the intrusion’s persistence “reflects what has become a more broadly unprecedented global threat landscape, especially in terms of sophisticated nation-state attacks.”

The hackers, known as Cozy Bear, are the same ones responsible for the SolarWinds breach.

microsoft

Microsoft Says It Hasn’t Been Able To Shake Russian State Hackers

When Microsoft first reported the intrusion, it stated that the SVR unit got into its corporate email system and accessed the accounts of certain senior executives and staff from its cybersecurity and legal departments. It did not specify how many accounts were compromised.

At the time, Microsoft stated that it could terminate the hackers’ access to the compromised accounts on or around January 13. But by then, they had certainly established a footing.

It said they gained access via compromising credentials on a “legacy” test account but did not elaborate.

Microsoft’s newest disclosure comes three months after a new Securities and Exchange Commission rule went into effect, requiring publicly traded corporations to disclose breaches that potentially harm their businesses.

SOURCE – (AP)

Continue Reading

Trending