WASHINGTON, D.C. – A tense moment erupted at Wednesday’s White House press briefing when Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt snapped back at CNN anchor Kaitlan Collins. The exchange put a spotlight on the widening split between the Trump administration and major news outlets over the U.S.-led campaign against Iran.
At the center of the dispute were six U.S. service members killed after an Iranian drone strike hit a U.S. site in Kuwait. Their deaths came as the administration continues to promote Operation Epic Fury, the joint U.S.-Israeli campaign that began in late February.
Operation Epic Fury began in the early hours of February 28, 2026. The first wave included large U.S. strikes using B-2 stealth bombers, F-22 fighters, and other aircraft. In the first 72 hours, the campaign hit more than 1,700 targets, according to the administration. Those strikes reportedly focused on Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) facilities, ballistic missile sites, air defenses, naval assets, and command-and-control locations.
White House officials have framed the operation as a major blow to Iran’s leadership and military infrastructure. Reports also claim widespread damage, including the reported death of Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei and other senior Iranian figures.
President Donald Trump has said the strikes reverse what he called “decades of cowardice” in U.S. policy toward Iran, which the U.S. has long accused of backing terrorism and seeking nuclear capabilities.
Still, the campaign has brought U.S. losses. On Sunday, an Iranian drone strike hit a U.S. tactical operations center at Shuaiba Port in Kuwait, killing six service members. The Army has named four:
- Sgt. 1st Class Nicole Amor (White Bear Lake, Minnesota)
- Capt. Cody Khork (Lakeland, Florida)
- Sgt. 1st Class Noah Tietjens (Bellevue, Nebraska)
- Sgt. Declan Coady (Des Moines, Iowa)
Officials have not released the other two names yet, pending family notification. Reports say the drone hit a temporary office inside a triple-wide trailer used by U.S. personnel.
Trump has said he plans to attend the dignified transfer at Dover Air Force Base in Delaware. Leavitt described it as the president standing “in grief alongside their families.”
Hegseth’s comments set off a backlash
Earlier on Wednesday, Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth, often labeled in administration messaging as “Secretary of War,” spoke to reporters at the Pentagon about the operation. He praised the mission and promised to “avenge” the fallen troops. At the same time, he criticized how the media has covered the deaths.
“When a few drones get through or tragic things happen, it’s front-page news,” Hegseth said. “I get it. The press only wants to make the president look bad. But try for once to report the reality.”
He also pointed to what the administration calls broader gains, including U.S. control of Iranian airspace and waterways without sending ground troops. In his view, outlets focus on setbacks to hurt Trump politically.
Critics responded quickly, saying reporting on U.S. casualties is a basic responsibility of the press, not a partisan act.
Karoline Leavitt versus CNN’s Collins
During the afternoon briefing, Collins pressed Leavitt on Hegseth’s remarks.
“Is it the position of this administration that the press should not prominently cover the deaths of U.S. service members?” Collins asked.
Leavitt fired back and defended Hegseth, saying Collins twisted his meaning.
“That’s not what the secretary said, Kaitlan, and that’s not what the secretary meant, and you know it,” Leavitt replied. “You know you are being disingenuous.”
She argued that news outlets should also report what she called the successes of Operation Epic Fury and the damage done to Iran’s military and leadership. Leavitt then warned that Iran poses a direct threat to Americans.
“If the Iranian regime had their choice, they would kill every single person in this room,” she said. “So we can all be very grateful that we have an administration and that we have men and women in our armed forces who are willing to sacrifice their own lives for the rest of us in this room and for every American across the country.”
Collins continued, quoting Hegseth’s words and saying he appeared to be “complaining” that the soldiers’ deaths made front-page news. Karoline’s response grew more pointed.
“The press does only want to make the president look bad. That’s a fact,” she said. “Especially you, and especially CNN.”
Karoline Leavitt also said Hegseth “cares deeply about our warfighters” and travels around the country to meet with service members. She added that CNN rarely highlights those visits.
In response, Collins again read Hegseth’s quote and questioned whether the White House wanted to minimize the sacrifices. Karoline rejected that framing and returned to her message of gratitude and mission focus.
Karoline Leavitt and the mainstream media
The dispute reflects the long-running conflict between Trump’s White House and major media outlets. Supporters say news coverage leans negatively to weaken the administration. On the other hand, critics say the White House attacks reporters to avoid tougher scrutiny, especially when the military faces losses.
Clips of the exchange spread quickly online. Some conservative voices praised Leavitt’s pushback, while others said the moment crossed a line and chilled press freedom.
Meanwhile, Operation Epic Fury continues with no clear end date. The six deaths have become a painful reminder of the cost of this conflict. The administration says the campaign stays focused on dismantling Iranian threats, yet questions keep building around strategy, congressional approval, and long-term stability in the region.
Trump has signaled no quick pullback, saying operations will continue until threats are neutralized. Leavitt echoed that stance and said the fallen service members’ sacrifices won’t be in vain.
For now, the White House has not shared details on the next phase, although officials say they will keep providing updates, with an emphasis on progress as well as setbacks. The briefing room argument may fade, but it shows how the battle over public narrative is running alongside the fighting overseas.
Related News:





