Connect with us

News

Foxconn Assembly Workers of iPhone 14 Walkout in China

Published

on

Foxconn Assembly Workers of iPhone 14 Walkout in China

Assembly workers of Apple’s newest iPhone 14 walked out of a facility in central China after virus breakouts and complaints about unsafe working conditions, underlining the conflict between the disease’s long-term hazards and efforts to revive global trade.

According to an employee who requested anonymity, employees began fleeing the Foxconn factory in Zhengzhou after some were unwell in mid-October and received no treatment. He stated that Foxconn has begun to require face masks and disinfects the workplace daily, but that work continues as usual.

“There are still people being sick on the assembly lines, and they are afraid to go to work,” the employee said by phone from Zhengzhou on Monday. He said he had quit the factory and would return to his hometown.

As other countries relax anti-virus restrictions, Chinese exporters struggle to satisfy orders while dealing with a “Zero COVID” approach that shuts down cities for a week or longer to manage epidemics.

Foxconn said in a statement that it used “closed-loop management” in Zhengzhou, an official term for having employees live in their office without outside interaction. The company stated that it would provide three meals every day. It did not specify when these measures were implemented.

Foxconn, also known as Hon Hai Precision Electronics Inc., did not reply to concerns about how many employees had been infected, if additional cases were being reported or complaints that people who were ill in early October were not treated.

Apple Execs Pressured Foxconn

According to the advocacy group China Labor Watch, Foxconn was under pressure from Apple to keep producing the iPhone 14 during its “high production season.” The Zhengzhou factory, which has 90 assembly lines, is the primary iPhone assembly site.

 

apple, iphine foxconn

Apple has not answered inquiries about how this would disrupt manufacturing. According to the Foxconn statement, the business would work with other plants to “minimize any potential damage.”

It was unclear how many employees departed the factory, which Foxconn claims employs 200,000 people. According to the employee in Zhengzhou and social media posts, up to half of the employees had departed.

The government of President Xi Jinping is facing rising public outrage over regulations that have restricted tens of millions of citizens to their homes. This has resulted in protests and clashes with police in Shanghai and other cities.

Foxconn, based in Taipei, Taiwan, is the world’s largest contract manufacturer of cell phones and other consumer electronics. Its factories, which employ hundreds of thousands of people, are among the largest private employers in China.

“There is No Food and No Medicine”

Companies are expected to pay for anti-disease controls and employee infection monitoring. This encourages them to cut corners. Those with huge workforces may overlook transgressions.

According to news sources, China Labor Watch, and the employee reached by phone in Zhengzhou, Foxconn reacted slowly.

“At the start of the outbreak, no one took care of the personnel who were verified to have contracted the virus,” the employee explained. “There is no food and no medicine.”

According to China Labor Watch, Foxconn chose areas such as neighbouring unfinished apartment projects when employees who tested positive were isolated. Employees claimed that the factory’s meals were of low quality.

foxconn, iphone, apple

According to a Zhengzhou employee, employees who reside in packed industrial dormitories are concerned about neighbours who test positive and are discharged after one week in quarantine.

“They don’t have a choice but to leave,” he explained.

Social media videos showed people identified as Foxconn employees leaping over fences and strolling down a road with their stuff. It was unable to say whether all of the recordings depicted Foxconn personnel.

Volunteers from neighbouring communities served food and refreshments to the employees. Cities near Zhengzhou have asked Foxconn employees to report to authorities in their hometowns to undergo quarantines.

Foxconn and the city government of Zhengzhou stated on Sunday that they would organize transportation for departing staff.

“The well-being of our staff is a top priority,” Foxconn said. It requested “understanding and support.”

“Zero COVID” has helped keep China’s infection rates low, but at a mounting cost, prompting fears that the governing party needs a less disruptive method. Restaurants and other small companies have closed due to rising costs and declining revenue.

According to industry groups, the economic impact of anti-virus measures is so severe that foreign corporations are moving planned investments to other nations.

apple iphone foxconn india

Apple Inc. has stated that it’s iPhone 14 will also be manufactured at a Foxconn factory in India.

The American Chamber of Commerce in Shanghai states less than one in every five corporations surveyed rate China first in their investment ambitions, down from 27% last year. It said that travel restrictions and quarantines had “dulled the desire” of executives to visit.

“Unless China harmonizes its COVID policies with the rest of the world,” the chamber stated in a report, “this slide from favour may be repeated next year.”

After the city shut down in March due to viral outbreaks, auto factories, securities firms, and several other businesses in Shanghai continued to operate under “closed loop” conditions.

Bettina Schoen-Behanzin, VP of the EU Chamber of Commerce in China, gave staff bonuses of up to 100% of their income.

“The prices are rather hefty,” she said.

VOR News

Geoff Thomas is a seasoned staff writer at VORNews, a reputable online publication. With his sharp writing skills and deep understanding of SEO, he consistently delivers high-quality, engaging content that resonates with readers. Thomas' articles are well-researched, informative, and written in a clear, concise style that keeps audiences hooked. His ability to craft compelling narratives while seamlessly incorporating relevant keywords has made him a valuable asset to the VORNews team.

News

Pregnant Hailey Bieber Shows Off Her Baby Bump In Glam Gothic Attire — See Her Look!

Published

on

bieber
Hailey Bieber | People Image

Hailey Bieber is channeling her darker side.

On Saturday, June 22, the 27-year-old model, presently pregnant with her first child, published an Instagram Story of herself wearing a black lace gown.

Bieber posed in a black lace bodysuit, emphasizing her baby bump. She paired the outfit with black sunglasses and a small black pocketbook and wore her hair in a sloppy bun.

bieber

Hailey Bieber | People Image

Pregnant Hailey Bieber Shows Off Her Baby Bump In Glam Gothic Attire

When spotted on the streets of New York City, the Rhode founder was wearing a black leather jacket over his gothic outfit.

Hailey and Justin Bieber announced their first pregnancy in May with a romantic Instagram post in which Hailey held a bouquet and showed off her expanding baby bump.

Justin’s mother, Pattie Mallette, expressed excitement in an Instagram Reel following their news.

“I’ve been waiting for this day. And now that they’ve announced it, I can finally celebrate with you all, and oh my word, I’m going to be a grandmother,” she added in the video.

bieber

Hailey Bieber | People Image

Pregnant Hailey Bieber Shows Off Her Baby Bump In Glam Gothic Attire

Shortly after, Hailey’s uncle, Billy Baldwin, spoke exclusively with PEOPLE about his growing family. “I really feel like there’s no higher calling than that responsibility,” he said of Hailey and Justin, 30, who are becoming parents.

The couple married in a small courtroom ceremony in September 2018 before exchanging vows in a grander ceremony in South Carolina the following year.

Throughout Hailey’s pregnancy, she has boldly shown her baby bump.

Earlier this month, the pregnant woman took a mirror selfie dressed in baggy black slacks and a slightly cropped striped blouse. She accessorized the look with a black leather shoulder bag, matching sunglasses, and one of Rhode’s viral phone cases.

bieber

Hailey Bieber | Teen Vogue Image

Pregnant Hailey Bieber Shows Off Her Baby Bump In Glam Gothic Attire

Before that, she published photographs from her latest campaign with Yves Saint Laurent, revealing that she had been carrying her child for months when she photographed for the brand.

“Shot this 4 months preggy with a little bean in my belly,” she posted on Instagram Stories, alongside a photo of the ad.

SOURCE – (People )

Continue Reading

News

Canada Day Parade Cancelled in Montreal Due to Bureaucracy and Politics

Published

on

Canada Day Parade Cancelled in Montreal

The organizer of Montreal’s Canada Day parade has cancelled this year’s event, blaming bureaucratic red tape and politics. Nick Cowen the main Organizer of the Montreal Canada Day Parade issued a press release stating that he has had increasing difficulty in obtaining permissions and funds, as well as approval from government officials.

“Despite honoring all conditions set forth, Cowen said in his press release that he had been met with rules that change at the last minute and requests that make putting on the parade virtually impossible, An event that is meant to inspire unity has been thwarted because of division.”

Cowen claimed that in 2023, he was compelled to fill out the same documentation many times and completely restructure the event to satisfy Montreal city regulators. He also stated that he was directed to find 148 volunteers at the last minute, in order to ensure that at least one person stood by the procession cars’ tires.

“Imagine you are in traffic and need four people, one at each tire, to make sure no one runs under the wheel of a normal car,” he stated in an email.

Government Bureaucracy

He added that the federal government “requested that parts of the parade be removed entirely,” including the cake to be presented at the end of the march. “The parade’s budget was also reduced to 2013 levels in another devastating blow to this cherished event,” the author said.

The city of Montreal and the federal heritage agency did not respond to a request for comment on Sunday.

The parade has taken place since the late 1970s, however it was canceled between 2020 and 2022 due of the COVID-19 epidemic.

The news comes as organizers in some communities have rethought their celebrations in recent years due to rising security and insurance costs, as well as funding issues.

Cowen told The Canadian Press that, while COVID-19 contributed to the event’s cancellation, he was also trying to meet mounting costs as federal financing failed to keep up with inflation.

Other Canada Day celebrations will take place in Montreal on July 1, including the customary Old Port celebration with games, face painting, cupcakes, and music.

Canada Day in Montreal

In Montreal, Canada Day is a vibrant celebration that oozes enthusiasm and pride throughout the city. People dress in their finest patriotic garb, and the streets are filled with red and white.

Typically, the day begins with a massive parade through the city center, complete with colorful floats, marching bands, and cultural performers. Local parks are wonderful picnic spots since they host family-friendly activities such as face painting, games, and live music.

Streetside food trucks bordering the avenues serve a variety of Canadian foods, including poutine and maple sugar. Fireworks over the Old Port brighten the sky as the sun sets, creating a fantastic atmosphere.

Concerts and other activities continue throughout the evening, emphasizing local talent and fostering a sense of community. It’s a day of celebration, togetherness, and deep appreciation for Canada’s rich history.

Both locals and foreigners should attend this event because of Montreal’s unique fusion of French and English cultures, which adds a unique flavor to the celebrations.

People Also Reading:

VIDEO!! Air Canada Flight to Paris Catches Fire After Takeoff

VIDEO!! Air Canada Flight to Paris Catches Fire After Takeoff

 

Continue Reading

News

NATO Secretary-General Urges Trudeau to Honour Canada’s Spending Target

Published

on

NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg Canada
NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg: AP Image

Canada needs to meet NATO’s minimum defence spending target, and present a plan on how it will reach it as a way to show authoritarian regimes that Western allies are aligned, NATO alliance’s secretary general has said.

Numbers NATO released this week show Canada is expected to spend 1.37 per cent of its gross domestic product on defence this year, well below the two per cent target.

“Canada’s standing in NATO is strong, but at the same time of course we expect all allies to make good on the promise of investing two per cent,” Jens Stoltenberg, secretary general of NATO, said during an event hosted by the NATO Association of Canada in Ottawa.

Ahead of Stoltenberg’s remarks, Defence Minister Bill Blair promised the goal will eventually be reached, as Russia’s war in Ukraine raises a threat of expanded conflict in Europe.

Last year, members agreed that two per cent should be a minimum, a reflection of worries over Russia’s ongoing invasion of Ukraine.

Stoltenberg acknowledged it’s tough for politicians to prioritize defence over social services, but said a precondition of success in any Western country is preserving peace and investing in security.

Canada faces the same challenges as all the allied countries that have budgets, he said.

“They’re concerned about the fiscal balance. They want to spend money on health, education and on the other things,” he said.

But at the end of the day, if those countries aren’t able to prevent war, their efforts on health, education and climate change “will fail” he said.

NATO Association of Canada

His remarks on spending received enthusiastic applause from the NATO Association of Canada, including from former defence minister Anita Anand, who snuck in the back to listen to his remarks.

A handful of protesters gathered outside a building in the parliamentary precinct where Stoltenberg spoke.

On the sidewalk in front of the building, “Canada lagging behind our NATO allies” was written in chalk, along with “Trudeau and Blair laughing stocks of the world” and “Canadians are not laughing.”

Stoltenberg’s visit came the same day Russia and North Korea signed an agreement that pledges mutual aid if either country faces “aggression.”

Stoltenberg expressed concern that Russia could be providing support to North Korea’s nuclear and missile programs, and over China “propping up Russia’s war economy” by providing electronics that are being used in weapons and combat against Ukraine.

“So the answer is that when they are more and more aligned, all the authoritarian regimes like North Korea, China, Iran and Russia, then it’s even more important that we are aligned as countries believing in freedom and democracy,” he said.

Defence Spending

Defence spending across European allies and Canada was up nearly 18 per cent this year alone, Stoltenberg said during a speech at the White House on Monday — the biggest increase in decades.

Blair has said Canada’s defence spending will climb to at least 1.75 per cent of its GDP by 2029.

Additional spending on a new submarine fleet and integrated air defence and missile systems will probably push the figure past the two per cent mark, Blair said.

“Let me assure you that we’ve been doing a great deal of work within our Defence Department, with the government of Canada, but also with our NATO allies,” Blair said.

Allies were “very encouraged” by a defence policy update Canada released earlier this year, he said.

Defence spending will be among a number of topics Stoltenberg said he would raise with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, who he had dinner with on Wednesday.

Defence spending delayed

The secretary general embraced Trudeau and Ottawa warmly, calling Canada like “home” and the prime minister “friend.” Stoltenberg also wants Canada to scale up its contribution in the North and maritime operations.

Both Blair and Anand, now treasury board president, acknowledged this week that defence spending is delayed because of a shortage of procurement workers. “We have the ability to accelerate spending. It does require an investment in people to get the job done,” Blair said.

The Liberal government has set aside $1.8 billion over 20 years to increase the number of workers who can purchase new equipment, recruit, train new soldiers and upgrade infrastructure.

NATO leaders are set to meet in Washington, D.C., next month for an annual summit and mark the alliance’s 75th anniversary.

Increasing funding for Ukraine will be an agenda priority, after Stoltenberg came forward with a proposal for all NATO allies to contribute 40 billion euros a year, Blair said.

At the White House on Monday, Stoltenberg said his expectation for next month’s meeting is to have allies agree “to step up financial and military support to Ukraine,” and reduce the burden on the U.S.

Source: The Canadian Press

People Also Reading:

Reform UK Party Leader Nigel Farage Blames NATO for Ukraine Invasion

Air Canada Works With Thailand to Promote Long-Stay Airfares

Continue Reading

Download Our App

vornews app

Advertise Here

Volunteering at Soi Dog

People Reading

Trending